Anyone familiar with overdate coins? Picture included,Enhanced Pic Added.

O

ozzysdad

Anyone familiar with overdate coin's? Picture included,Enhanced Pic Added.

I sent this in to one of the top three grading service's , For error attribution, and grading. I was content with the grade MS-67 Red, not to shabby, But they didn't either look close enough, or for some other reason designate it as an overdate. I may have to post a few pic's showing it better if this pic doesn't. But, anyone else see what i am talking about?

Attachments

• 1c1944p67obv.jpg
    1c1944p67obv.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 238
Re: Anyone familiar with overdate coin's? Picture included

I don't see it.

An overdate is where the date in the die is repunched to another date. Usually you can still see portions of the original number that has been punched over. This is rarely, if ever, done anymore.

I have collected coins for many years and have looked an quite a few overdates and even owned a couple, but I do not see anything with your coin.

Hmmm...looks like a regular wheat cent to me. Can you point out the error...what are we looking for...what number is the overdate on?

Steeler Fan

I don't see any overdate on this 44 penney. Most overdates are pretty obvious. You do have a very nice 1944 penney.

I see what I believe to be doubling (especially on the 1 and the 4's) but it would help me to verify and be 100% sure if you could zero in on the date itself and show it in a large formated and VERY CLEAR pic.

If it truly is,

I would crack it out of the slab and "re-submit" it to ANACS as they specialize in "errors" and will grade it accordingly.

Also,

if it's an unknown variety or uncommon error, it could be worth BIG $$$

I know this enhancement look's kind of wild, But hopefully you can see 1943 directly above the 1944

Attachments

• 44overdateEnhancedC.jpg
    44overdateEnhancedC.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 188

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back