What's new

Anyone Found These Before?

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2007
Messages
1,154
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Location
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found several of these over the years ... mostly at old farmstead sites where there is just farm field now and no buildings. I feel as though I should know what it is but for the life of me can't figure it out. Any thoughts would be appreciated ~ Jimmy
 

Attachments

  • Whatisit6.webp
    Whatisit6.webp
    18.8 KB · Views: 665
  • Whatisit4.webp
    Whatisit4.webp
    20.8 KB · Views: 664
Is the barrel looking thingie on top hollow and does it rotate? Does a magnet stick to it? Breezie
 
Upvote 0
It looks like a Ramrod Pipe.

Nova Treasure
 
Upvote 0
I suspect its a barrel shaped hinge.
 
Upvote 0
we have 2 guesses:
1) mirror attachment for an old car with the small round mirrors.
2) deer whistle, goes on grill or bumper to repell deer.

Only guesses mind you. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Sunvisor swivel from old car
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
Is the barrel looking thingie on top hollow and does it rotate? Does a magnet stick to it? Breezie

Thanks for the reply Breezie ... to answer your questions ~ the barrel thing is not hollow, it does not rotate, and a magnet does not stick to it.

nova treasure said:
It looks like a Ramrod Pipe.

Nova Treasure
Thanks for the reply Nova ... good guess but I don't know about the ramrod pipe idea?
BamaBill said:
I suspect its a barrel shaped hinge.
Thanks for the reply BamaBill ... you might be on the right track with the barrel shaped hinge idea.
jivey1ark said:
we have 2 guesses:
1) mirror attachment for an old car with the small round mirrors.
2) deer whistle, goes on grill or bumper to repell deer.

Only guesses mind you. :dontknow:
Thanks for the reply Jivey1ark ... possible mirror attachment on old car idea might work but I think this thing was used well before the idea of deer whistles on cars.
Sniffer Elf said:
curtain rod holder maybe ?
Thanks for the reply Sniffer ... possible as a curtain rod holder but seems a little heavy duty for that application but who knows.
S IL THer said:
Sunvisor swivel from old car
Thanks for the reply S IL THer ... you may be on the right track as a sunvisor swivel ... it doesn't swivel but could have acted as a sunvisor hinge in an old auto (it does appear that a shaft of some sort may have protruded from one end of it at one time).
jivey1ark said:
S IL THer said:
Sunvisor swivel from old car
 
Upvote 0
Just a note ... I found a second one of these items on my next hunt at the same site I found the one pictured above ... so they may have worked in pairs.
 
Upvote 0
Ok, you said, "it does appear that a shaft of some sort may have protruded from one end of it at one time". And, you mentioned that they may have worked in pairs. This makes me think towel rack ends (little thick for that though) or the seat(s) for a pivot hinge (my vote).
 
Upvote 0
BamaBill said:
Ok, you said, "it does appear that a shaft of some sort may have protruded from one end of it at one time". And, you mentioned that they may have worked in pairs. This makes me think towel rack ends.

Hey Bamabill ... I also should have mentioned that the base of this thing is concave like it might attach to something that is has a slight curve to its surface like possibly mounted to the windshield of an old car as a visor hinge ... it just seems a little heavy duty for this use and as a towel rack (also its not very decorative like plated or etched)? Thanks for your input ~ Jimmy
 
Upvote 0
It's part of a lock for an auto wing window. Remember when autos and trucks had wing windows? The little latch handle is missing from the top. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Monty said:
It's part of a lock for an auto wing window. Remember when autos and trucks had wing windows? The little latch handle is missing from the top. Monty
Thanks for the reply Monty ... It could very well be a wing window latch but it seems like those were plated or stainless most times.
 
Upvote 0
I thought I could see some ramains of plating but I guess not? Anyway, that rubber looking thing reminded me of the rubber thing that supplied tension to the latch when it wasn't locked. Monty
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom