What's new

Anyone getting screwed on quarters

obsessedwithsilver

Hero Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2009
Messages
547
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
I'd like to get more silver quarters but I had a bunch with one nickel stuck in them. The price adds up pretty quickly if you are searching $300 or more a few times per week. Any thoughts out there.

OWS
 
Upvote 0
obsessedwithsilver said:
I'd like to get more silver quarters but I had a bunch with one nickel stuck in them. The price adds up pretty quickly if you are searching $300 or more a few times per week. Any thoughts out there.

OWS

Don't do quarters but was just shorted .49 cents this week, found a penny in a roll of Half's- counted them only 19 half's in roll >:( .
 
I find many more nickels squeezed in hand rolled quarters than I do silver. I'd like to give the cheapskate a good slap. :laughing7:
HH
Rich
 
Rich Hartford said:
I find many more nickels squeezed in hand rolled quarters than I do silver. I'd like to give the cheapskate a good slap. :laughing7:
HH
Rich


Aren't the tellers supposed to check hand rolls? Usually when I pick up hand rolls of halves they have a check mark on them. I always assumed this meant the teller verified the count.

PS I did get a Susan B. Anthony dollar in a Brinks roll this week. First time I ever saw that.

Jim
 
I think you are wasting your time looking for silver quarters in rolls. They were the first thing to be hoarded and probably are still being held onto by people. Just my opinion.
rileyboy
 
I've found about 10 silver quarters so far. I'm not counting 9 dream rolls of silver quarters I found about 8 months ago.

OWS
 
I find more nickels in quarter rolls than any other shortchange.

Second is probably the mexican peso in the half roll.
 
I don't really search quaters often, I never find silver in them. Never proofs either.
 
Anyone who does this hobby is bound to be shorted at one time or another. A dump bank I have (just one branch of the bank) would only take $100 in halves at a time for cash; the rest would be taken, verified by brinks, and credited to my account. They also insisted on counting the $100 in halves.

When they were going through the rolls there was a minor bend in one of the halves. The teller told me she could not take that as it would be rejected in the coin counter. I told her that it wouldn't as I got it in a Brinks roll so it had to be accepted by the coin counter. While I was standing in front of her, I took the coin, exchanged it for another in a roll I couldn't turn in, and gave her one out of that roll. She wanted to confiscate it!! I also inquired about the reason for only taking $100 in halves at a time. They said a few months back someone turned in $150 or so in rolled dimes, dimes only on the end with pennies in between. Haha the bank had to eat that one but all the customers have to pay for it.

Needless to say I never go to that bank to dump anymore.
 
I almost exclusively do bags of coins and other than the occasional foreign coin (usually canadian), quarters seem to be by far the most likely to be spot on as to the coin count. If the bags were always short, I wouldn't bother with them too much as the finds aren't very high.

Although I have found 6 silver quarters this year, I have searched through 40,000 quarters to get them...

The one good thing about quarters is they can be searched quickly as they are easy to pick up in stacks out of the bag and the keepers stick out, so the time spent to search a $500 bag isn't very high.
 
I never had any hand rolls to buy but it wasn't uncommon to find more than a few pennies, nickels, Canadian quarters, and other foreign coins mixed in with the boxes I went through. Just part of the game. ;D The real kick in the pants would be when I would get a dime or a penny in place of a 50c piece in the box... :laughing9:
 
GMan00001 said:
I almost exclusively do bags of coins and other than the occasional foreign coin (usually canadian), quarters seem to be by far the most likely to be spot on as to the coin count. If the bags were always short, I wouldn't bother with them too much as the finds aren't very high.

Although I have found 6 silver quarters this year, I have searched through 40,000 quarters to get them...

The one good thing about quarters is they can be searched quickly as they are easy to pick up in stacks out of the bag and the keepers stick out, so the time spent to search a $500 bag isn't very high.

I spend more time on quarters than halves to get through a bag. But I am pulling all the 2009 quarters i find, plus looking at ALL the quarters in a bag to search for WIsconsin lower leaf error coins. I heard they are int eh Phoenix area. A nd I found my first one in Febraury, so that was cool. An $80 coin in the condition I found it in, which is wonderful.

Searching for the 2009 quarters makes it a slower go though to search quarters. I don't just rim search.
 
jrf30 said:
GMan00001 said:
I almost exclusively do bags of coins and other than the occasional foreign coin (usually canadian), quarters seem to be by far the most likely to be spot on as to the coin count. If the bags were always short, I wouldn't bother with them too much as the finds aren't very high.

Although I have found 6 silver quarters this year, I have searched through 40,000 quarters to get them...

The one good thing about quarters is they can be searched quickly as they are easy to pick up in stacks out of the bag and the keepers stick out, so the time spent to search a $500 bag isn't very high.

I spend more time on quarters than halves to get through a bag. But I am pulling all the 2009 quarters i find, plus looking at ALL the quarters in a bag to search for WIsconsin lower leaf error coins. I heard they are int eh Phoenix area. A nd I found my first one in Febraury, so that was cool. An $80 coin in the condition I found it in, which is wonderful.

Searching for the 2009 quarters makes it a slower go though to search quarters. I don't just rim search.

I rim search and sometimes look at the ones that look AU/BU by the rim to look for the newer ones I still need (even found a couple proofs that way).

Halves usually take me longer because I usually date search and check for errors on about 10 varieties.

But to compare apples to apples on timing you need to search $1000 in halves for every $500 searched in quarters.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom