Anyone giving a detector as a gift this year?

MZKITY62

Sep 26, 2009
GENEVA COUNTY, ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I'm so excited. I am single and don't have a lot of money but Wal-Mart has a Bounty Hunter on big time sale this week on the website for a mere 64.99. My youngest son, who is 19 and was thrilled to know that I was into this sort of thing (he found one of the very old radio shack toys in a barn he was hired to clean out, didn't work). I am more excited about this than anything else. I am going to get to go see him in Gainesville so we can hunt a few parks while I am there. WOO HOO!!

Upvote 0

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I won't be giving any detectors at Christmas but did give one to my 9 year Godson on his birthday in October. We got in a couple good hunts and he had a blast with his new machine. :thumbsup:

Congrats on the good times that are sure to come for you and your son. Have a very Merry Christmas.

coin finder

Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID 300
Hi, That sound Great to get a Metal Detector, But befor I go to Walmart and wast my money, I will go to White Metal Detectors and pick one up for under $ 200. That my 2-cent :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is great you that you want to try detecting, and that you are so excited, but I also highly advise you skip the Walmart special and buy a real detector, you are wasting your money.

Check out one of Whites lower end detectors, the Coinmaster, or Prizm II for $179.99 to $249.99, or the ACE 250 from Garrett. If you decide you don't like detecting, there is no resale in the Walmart special at all, if you decide you love it your going to want to upgrade quickly, as there is very little value in the Bounty Hunter Special. Yes it will find nails, pieces of metal, and some clad coins, but your going to want to go after the gold and silver that the rest of us are finding................

Just a bit of friendly advice....

Good luck.......

OP
OP
MZKITY62

MZKITY62

Sep 26, 2009
GENEVA COUNTY, ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Did anyone even look to see what kind of detector I have??? I have a BH and love it as a first detector. As I said, I do not have a lot of money. I have two sons to buy for so I can't spend almost $200 on a "toy" for either of them. If he sticks with it, I plan to save and get him a coinmaster for his birthday in April.

OP
OP
MZKITY62

MZKITY62

Sep 26, 2009
GENEVA COUNTY, ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Exactly!!!! I know my boys better than anyone else, and they tend to not stick with anything. I have tried to tell him that he lives on a gold mine. College campus' are fantastic for coin shooting. He needs all the cash he can get. Heck, you could about make a living there just doing that.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap, I wish I had seen this post 2 days ago. They also had a Teknetics Omega on sale for $348. They are now out of stock. That would have been an outstanding deal.

kando

Nov 14, 2008
,U.S.A. almost in Canada
Detector(s) used
....Tesoro conquistador , minelab sovereign
GibH said:
Holy crap, I wish I had seen this post 2 days ago. They also had a Teknetics Omega on sale for $348. They are now out of stock. That would have been an outstanding deal.
Is Teknetics made by ... Fisher ..Or.. Bounty hunter?

OP
OP
MZKITY62

MZKITY62

Sep 26, 2009
GENEVA COUNTY, ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
thanks Gib, but as I said before, I really couldn't spend that much. I really wish that I could. I would get him a really good one. I just hope he likes it as much as I think he is going to. I haven't been this excited over Christmas since they were little.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kando said:
Is Teknetics made by ... Fisher ..Or.. Bounty hunter?

Teknetics is owned by First Texas who owns Fisher and Bounty Hunter as well.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes i saw that Omega on the web site and checked with wal mart and was told they will get it again but not at that price more like $599.00 so i missed a great buy :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :violent1: :violent1: :BangHead:

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 2 x Gold Snoops Whites Bullseye Pinpointer
Hi MZKTY
I suppose it depends on what model it is, but I guess any detector with the Bounty Hunter name would be a good starter.
Not everyone can afford whatever they want and usually they are more appreciative of anything you can manage. I am sure he would be happy with it.
Let us know how he goes with it, or, better still, join him up to T'Net so he can tell us himself.
Good luck and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

The Cat

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He will be happy with any detector he will get and so will you in giving it to him. If he gets really into the hobby he can upgrade later to something that will work much better like the Ace 250 or Tesoro's Cibola. The higher end Bounty Hunters are OK though.

Spring for a Charter Membership for him here on the TNet forum too, and while your at it get one for yourself. You won't regret it. :hello:

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't think of a better gift and at 64 bucks it is an excellent buy for a BH EX.

For a first detector it will be great to get in the hobby and if he like's it can upgrade later.

Someone is going to have a great Christmas.

Your a great MOM :thumbsup:

Hendrix

Jan 8, 2007
Southeast Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites V3i
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up a White's Classic 4 in super good condition from E-Bay for an early Christmas present for one of my daughters. I got a super good deal on it. I got the detector for $82.77 + shipping, which made the whole thing about $100.

Some of the cheaper new detectors and good used detectors can be a really good deal for the money spent.

pinebarrens1

Dec 20, 2007
bayville nj
Detector(s) used
minelab xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my brother just got the f2 for 199.00 with 2 coils and a pinpointer . and im amased how deep it goes . his finds in the last 2 days almost paid for its self in 2 days . [ alot of silver on the beach in the last 2 days ] .............i vote f2 as a sweet detecter for the price ......

OP
OP
MZKITY62

MZKITY62

Sep 26, 2009
GENEVA COUNTY, ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Aw, Y'all are so sweet. I love my Fast Tracker. I got him the EX model. It has the digital display on it so you don't have to just rely on the tones. I think it will work better for him. I just really hope that he likes it and sticks with it. If he does then I will spring for a better model for his birthday.

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Good onya mate. Most folk are full of good advice/intentions, but there are those that don't understand that everyone just can't go and buy what they would like.
At the same time, they do not appreciate what they do get and usually finish up dissatisfied and buy something else. These are the folk who won't know what hit them when the changes happen in a few short years as they are so materialistic.

God bless you MIZKITY and have fun.

The Cat

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
LOL Rando, There is a reason for everything. As the Mustang is a classic, so is the MXT.

Cheers

The Cat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread