Anyone Have Experience with the Cortes?

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am interested in the Tesoro Cortes for my next detector. Lots of people on here, seem to swear by the Tesoro brand. I like the Cortes, because it incorporates the VDI. I noticed that it doesn't have a pinpoint function. Is it so precise that you don't need it?

Any insights appreciated!

You'll find you don't really need VDI screen. It's really more enjoyable hunting without it once you learn the Tesoros. I previously owned one of the vastly popular detectors you have, but just did not like many of its features.

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I to was thinkin of makin a tesoro a weapon in my arsenal I was checkin or the cortés along with the deleon, & compadre I like it cuz just a pick up & go & its very light

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I to was thinkin of makin a tesoro a weapon in my arsenal I was checkin or the cortés along with the deleon, & compadre I like it cuz just a pick up & go & its very light

I love mine Christo! Really thought hard about Golden uMax. Supposed to be re-released in another few weeks. I was told it will be worth the wait. Although its not quite as deep as Vaquero it's supposed to rule as a coin shooter. Check out YouTube vids on it by 53'silver.

OP
OP
BryanM362

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is the Cortes new? Doesn't sound like anyone on here has actually used one.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cortes has been around for quite a few years now. I have one and like it - Pros- accurate ID, light weight, good depth, manual ground balance (in all metal mode). Cons - display is a bit small, disc mode is factory preset ground balance. I've done quite well coin shooting parks etc. with mine and enjoy using it. The preset ground balance in disc. mode is fine in the areas I hunt.
luvsdux

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My local dealer told me that the Tejon was far superior to the Cortez, so I got a V3i lol!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone looking for a Tejon'. I have one NIB for $540 delivered to lower 48. Got it on a trade and have another detector in mind.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tring myself to c What the old Lady says lol we'll c she may just look at What im workin with now & say nope lol but I like having choices & have heard very good things about tesoro. What the new one ur thinkin on ? If u dont mind me askin if u do then by all means its ur buisiness just curious lol

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh thats nice I just received minelabs new catalog for there detectors & equipment aswell as there promotion they r having right now buy a minelab & receive a minelabe profinder free sounds good

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am interested in the Tesoro Cortes for my next detector. Lots of people on here, seem to swear by the Tesoro brand. I like the Cortes, because it incorporates the VDI. I noticed that it doesn't have a pinpoint function. Is it so precise that you don't need it?

Any insights appreciated!
I am also looking closely at the Cortes, and I am wondering what's the depth difference between it and other Tesoro MDs'. When I ground balance my AT Pro it seems to make a difference, I am concerned about no ground balance on a detector. To have or not to have a ground balance is holding up my decision making.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digger2 I can vouch for the fact that my Cortes averages about 2 inches deeper than my other Umax Tesoros. It does have the manual ground in the all metal and in the soil I usually hunt, I've never had a problem with the preset in the Disc. mode and the display works in the all metal, if needed. Haven't had a chance to compare the depth to the Tejon, Vaquero etc.
luvdux

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used my Cortes for about a year. For me out here it seems to get less depth than the Safari and E-Trac(in clay based soils) but it is a pretty good machine really and once you get used to the sweep pace vs sound response you definitely know when you have a good target ! I have found all kinds of sterling silver jewelry with mine. And tons of clad and even a silver coin or two.

Hope this helps!
CARM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions