What's new

anyone have one of these?

chukers

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
1,824
Reaction score
147
Golden Thread
0
Location
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
Might work good in dry sand except you have to bend over all the time to dig attach a long handle to it :dontknow: Dd60
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I wouldnt want to dig wet sand with those... Since it is PVC, it has to be pretty thick not to break... Even if no shells are in the water, wet sand is hard enough to dig in with a SS scoop, let alone a thick PVC one.. Those have to be dry sand only scoops.. IMHO
 
If you decided to go to Galveston and your only going to use a scoop once a year, don't get these. Just go to Home Depot, Lowes, or Wal Mart and buy a small shovel to dig with. Then use your 'pro pointer' or whatever pin pointer or probe you use to find the target. Using one of these small scoops in the wet sand will be tough. Dry sand fine, but in the wet I would recommend the small shovel.
 
Chukers - Your going to wear yourself out with that type of scoop in wet sand. If nothing else order the $59 long handle from RTG, it's actully made to be used in wet sand and it's built solid enough (all aluminum with no wire mesh) that you can use your foot to push it. It's 5" dia X 7" long - 40" handle, for the price it's great for real shallow water or dry sand and it's real light. Check it out...
 
If you can afford a nice detector like the V3, you have to have a nice scoop to match. It will save you time digging and your back on the long days. One good find will cover the cost. It's your birthday next week.................right.............
 
OldeBeechnut said:
If you can afford a nice detector like the V3, you have to have a nice scoop to match. It will save you time digging and your back on the long days. One good find will cover the cost. It's your birthday next week.................right.............


Well yeah I can afford it but I guess I am too frugal... the using it once a year out weighs the cost for me... I think I'll go with what DiggerDun's advice I think I'd like to hunt more beaches but its too far away.... even the swimming holes around here are pea gravel and not conducive to a sand scoop. So I think I'll try the shovel & pin pointer this time.... thank you everyone for your advice. I'll let you know how it goes!

chukers

Chukers
 
If you want a nice hand scoop, and are frugal, use what I used when I first started... Go to any feed store and get one of their galvanized feed scoops.. Cost $7 and you just drill your own holes.. Mine really worked well, but with my bad back, the constant stooping to dig in heavy wet sand was killing me... But for $$7 and a little work, you cant go wrong! It is still the scoop I use if I am diving/snorkeling and hunting..
 
I bought a molded plastic feed scoop, drilled my own holes....works great in dry sand and OK, too, in wet sand. Price = $4.99. Plus, with it being plastic, you can use your pinpointer right into sand in the scoop.

But, since we are heading to the Corpus Christi Bay area of Texas this coming Winter, I do plan to spring for a higher quality, long handled scoop. Too many bend-overs with the plastic scoop for this 'ol guy :nono:
 
The hand scoops for dry sand work well with a lot or screen material. I like the RTG Beachmaster #700 below. It serves for dry and light wet work. Mostly you hold the scoop in the waves to wash the wet sand out so you don't have to shake it. The longer handle makes it lots easier to use so you don't mind picking up hairpins. Epoxy a strong magnet inside to catch the small iron targets. For in the water you'll need a scoop with some "hair on it." :laughing7:

http://www.rtgstore.com/rtgscoops.htm
 

Attachments

  • RTG Beachmaster.webp
    RTG Beachmaster.webp
    2.7 KB · Views: 367
  • RTG Beachmaster.webp
    RTG Beachmaster.webp
    2.7 KB · Views: 380
Do yourself a favor. Don't go cheap on your scoop. Bending down to scoop in the sand with a hand scoop is not good time usage. Get yourself a good long handled sand scoop like the Beach Brute or other scoops that are mentioned all over this site.

I have found that going cheap on a scoop is one of the biggest mistakes that a detectorist makes. The cheap scoops usually break at the worst of times and you are stuck. A good scoop will pay for itself and then some over time.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom