Anyone here buying rhodium plated products?

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, how would you get the rhodium off to sell, secondly, how much could there be on a plated item?? Thirdly, why are they using a very expensive PM for police badges?????

OP
OP
FISHEYE

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe reverse electrolisys.Its a heavy plate.cops,cities have all kinds of money to spend.

goldsilverpro

May 31, 2007
Rhodium plating, when used on this type application, is a thin, hard, shiny, durable, whitish, metallic protective coating mainly used to prevent tarnish of the base metal. Due to stress problems with thicker deposits, it is usually only about .000005" - .000030" thick, more or less. That's approximately $0.06 - $0.36 worth of rhodium per square inch of plated area. It's one of the most inert metals on the planet and I know of no electrolytic solution that will dissolve it. Aqua regia won't even touch it under normal circumstances. To remove it from the less expensive jewelry (silver, usually) or white gold (which contains nickel, which some people are allergic to), on which it is often applied, it is usually buffed off. The jeweler doing this doesn't worry about recovering it, since it has little value at the thickness it is plated.

I would say that the scrap value of those badges would be primarily in the base metal. The purpose of the rhodium is not to add value to the piece, but to protect it. Even if you had a ton of those badges, you would have a very hard time finding a refiner that would pay you for the rhodium. It's just too difficult and expensive to refine and the majority of refiners wouldn't be set up to refine it. Rhodium refining isn't something a hobbyist refiner could just jump into. It requires a lot of knowledge.

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
goldsilverpro said:
Rhodium plating, when used on this type application, is a thin, hard, shiny, durable, whitish, metallic protective coating mainly used to prevent tarnish of the base metal. Due to stress problems with thicker deposits, it is usually only about .000005" - .000030" thick, more or less. That's approximately $0.06 - $0.36 worth of rhodium per square inch of plated area. It's one of the most inert metals on the planet and I know of no electrolytic solution that will dissolve it. Aqua regia won't even touch it under normal circumstances. To remove it from the less expensive jewelry (silver, usually) or white gold (which contains nickel, which some people are allergic to), on which it is often applied, it is usually buffed off. The jeweler doing this doesn't worry about recovering it, since it has little value at the thickness it is plated.

I would say that the scrap value of those badges would be primarily in the base metal. The purpose of the rhodium is not to add value to the piece, but to protect it. Even if you had a ton of those badges, you would have a very hard time finding a refiner that would pay you for the rhodium. It's just too difficult and expensive to refine and the majority of refiners wouldn't be set up to refine it. Rhodium refining isn't something a hobbyist refiner could just jump into. It requires a lot of knowledge.

I second this, I dont even bother going after it and I see bits of it in my AR all the time when doing stone removal jobs etc just not worth going after, I suppose someday it will be recovered in the slimes and minor amounts of chlorides I put aside for "later"

some things just are not worth chasing after. Plate is one of those things. When I buy rhodium plating solution you get 1 gram in a liter of solution for plating, and you can plate a lot of jewelry with that solution. the first one I used it took me 3 years and that was doing 5 to 20 rings a week.
Bottom line, not much is on there, and its not worth going after. I now refine thousands of oz of gold per year, and only a little bit is white alloy, most people scrap yellow. the amount of rhodium that is attached may be up to $5 to $18 worth based on gold silver pros estimates and they look accurate to me. and thats when your refining a couple Million dollars in gold per year. Ill take my time to refine more gold and do other business than try to get a dinners worth of Rh over a year

EARL51

Nov 4, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 70
I Rhodium plate all day every day. It is plated in less time than it takes to type this. Usually over bright nickel plate. We don't bother to strip it off rejects so that tells you something.

goldsilverpro

May 31, 2007
EARL51 said:
I Rhodium plate all day every day. It is plated in less time than it takes to type this. Usually over bright nickel plate. We don't bother to strip it off rejects so that tells you something.

You couldn't even strip it off chemically if you wanted to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread