What's new

Anyone hunt nickels?

renegade_7

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2004
Messages
977
Reaction score
87
Golden Thread
0
Location
Missouri
Any luck with nickels. I thought about war and buffalos, but wonder if it is worth the effort. You know, the find or skunk ratio.
 
Upvote 0
I do-did nickels to me it is like halves once i found 3 wars in one day ;D other days are skunk :(
I would give it a shot if i were you jeffk
 
Every now and then I will get a bag ($200 I think) I pull everything 1949 and older. Never get more than $1 worth of keepers. I always get at least one war nik, just luck I guess.
 
I usually search an average of a box a week. I have found a few buffaloes and usually average 1 war nic per box. I also save all 1955 and before dates, and usually average 20 of those per box. When I have a full box of those, I am going to put them on ebay and see what they might bring. I have about 27 - 28 rolls, so I still have a little ways to go.
 
Nickels are the easiest coin to find a volume of pre-1960 coins with, but most are not worth much more than a nickel.

In the midwest I average about 25 pre-1960 nickels per $100 worth

And depending on if you use last years average or this years average:
(2008)
1 War Nickel every 74 rolls
1 buffalo every 800 rolls
1 V-Nickel every 1600 rolls

(2007)
1 War Nickel every 38 rolls (though I did get 100 war nickels in one partial box to skew the results a bit)
1 buffalo every 328 rolls
1 V-Nickel every 5913 rolls
 
Only when they're in season...;D
 
I mostly hunt nickels at work lately finding a few when I happen to each day. Kestrelia I just read your blog and was very entertained! I never read blogs but yours sounded very nice, ( maybe I liked it because you like coin roll hunting). Keep it up!
 
I've been doing it for variety, and because the more I dig, the more I learn.

Most other MD'ers leave them. I find.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom