What's new

Anyone hunt old churches?

Joined
Feb 23, 2009
Messages
364
Reaction score
8
Golden Thread
0
Location
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
Though I'm still a month+ away from getting my own MD....I'm still compiling a database of 'must hunts'

Among the candidates are several old country churches......some of which date back to the mid 1800's. Some were entirely destroyed.

I have no issues asking permission to hunt the grounds.....I mean no disrespect (It's not like I'd hunt a cemetary!)......but what about you folks?

Anyone hunt a church? For respectful reasons (or whatvever), are churches considered 'no hunt zones'?

Thanks!
 
Getting permission maybe easier than finding who to get it from on a really old church ground. I would think the hunting would be great as all the ingredients are there. Picknicks were held, children were carrying small change for collection plate. rough and tumble games were played during bible school recesses, and metal pins and badges were awarded and worn. Go for it Gary and post some neat pictures this summer!
 
I hunt them all the time. They don't always produce a lot of items but they do produce. Just remember not to mess up the grounds while you are detecting.
 
Old church lawns can be good (if you're not johnny-come-lately and others have already cherry-picked them). As for getting access, a little story - take it for what it's worth: When I got my first detector, as a Jr. High kid in the mid 1970s, our school bus stop was right at the lawn of a church, by the roadside. So when I got my first detector, that was naturally one of the places I used to hit. I never really gave any though to where the street/parking strip ended, and the church lawn started, as it was all sort of one continuous streetside lawn. It never even occured to me that a person couldn't walk there (or md, etc...) as that had just sort of been our neighborhood lawn growing up, as a kid.

Same thing for parochial schools. I had gone to one during elementary school, so upon getting my first detector, that was also a natural place to try it out. It never occured to us we needed permission, since the lawn was sort of open to the public after hours (joggers, monkey-bars, etc...). No one ever said anything to us. Perhaps things were just different 30+ yrs. ago ::)
 
yeah, i got a nice little "to-do" list of churches and/or church grounds
 
A great place to hunt and I've only burned turned down a couple times in 25 years of detecting. You'd be surprised what you find there, some are just filled with goodies, others not so good. Many of these yards are well taken care of so be careful when digging!! Good Luck Gary!!
 
It is hard to find a church yard nowadays that has not already been detected. I have my best luck these days out away from the churchyard--on the other side of the fence (with permission), near water sources, flat areas close by, etc.


Best Wishes,


Buckleboy
 
I want to hit my old church. It dates back to the 1870's. I'd gladly donate 50% of my finds to their coffers
 
Tom_in_CA said:
Old church lawns can be good (if you're not johnny-come-lately and others have already cherry-picked them). As for getting access, a little story - take it for what it's worth: When I got my first detector, as a Jr. High kid in the mid 1970s, our school bus stop was right at the lawn of a church, by the roadside. So when I got my first detector, that was naturally one of the places I used to hit. I never really gave any though to where the street/parking strip ended, and the church lawn started, as it was all sort of one continuous streetside lawn. It never even occured to me that a person couldn't walk there (or md, etc...) as that had just sort of been our neighborhood lawn growing up, as a kid.

Same thing for parochial schools. I had gone to one during elementary school, so upon getting my first detector, that was also a natural place to try it out. It never occured to us we needed permission, since the lawn was sort of open to the public after hours (joggers, monkey-bars, etc...). No one ever said anything to us. Perhaps things were just different 30+ yrs. ago ::)

same here in the 70's churches were considered either public property or
at least places you couldn't be asked to leave.
doors wern't even locked so people could use them for refuge in a storm.

now they are treated like buisness or private property.
 
So.....how's it work for 'church permission'???

If the priest says "go ahead...have at it!" Is that good enough to hunt???


I ask cuz technically, isn't the church the property of the diocese?
Can that priest speak on behalf of the church?

Just curious....



-
 
Gary in Pennsylvania said:
So.....how's it work for 'church permission'???

If the priest says "go ahead...have at it!" Is that good enough to hunt???


I ask cuz technically, isn't the church the property of the diocese?
Can that priest speak on behalf of the church?

Just curious....



-

Very Good Point.

But in my opinion Permission is Permission.

Member of the Church, Church Group, care taker, Priest, Church Historian, etc..
First one I See I ask.

Thay say Yes I Hunt.

Why second Guess anyone Involved
who is willing to say go ahead ?
Even a Cop or Closest Neighbor works for me on Church grounds.

As long as I Got a "Fall Guy or "Gal"" if Second Guessed
 
jeff of pa said:
Gary in Pennsylvania said:
So.....how's it work for 'church permission'???

If the priest says "go ahead...have at it!" Is that good enough to hunt???


I ask cuz technically, isn't the church the property of the diocese?
Can that priest speak on behalf of the church?

Just curious....



-

Very Good Point.

But in my opinion Permission is Permission.

Member of the Church, Church Group, care taker, Priest, Church Historian, etc..
First one I See I ask.

Thay say Yes I Hunt.

Why second Guess anyone Involved
who is willing to say go ahead ?
Even a Cop or Closest Neighbor works for me on Church grounds.

As long as I Got a "Fall Guy" if Second Guessed


Very true. Get permission from the priest and few will second guess you. Permission is permission--no matter who it is from. Flip side is, when someone gets a hair sideways and asks you to leave, You Leave. (and come back again tomorrow. :) )
 
yep.

You can Mention to them You have Permission,

But if they say They shouldn't have Let you.

Apoliogize.

"OK Sorry"

"Thanks for letting me Know"



"I'll Pack up & Leave"

"Have a good One" :thumbsup:

Is the Best Response
 
jeff of pa said:
yep.

You can Mention to them You have Permission,

But if they say They shouldn't have Let you.

Apoliogize.

"OK Sorry"

"Thanks for letting me Know"



"I'll Pack up & Leave"

"Have a good One" :thumbsup:

Is the Best Response


Exactly. :thumbsup:
 
I have been driving by old country churches, and if I see somebody mowing the lawn, I'll stop and ask about md'ing. Have never been turned down.
At one old church, the woman said she would have to ask the priest. She called him right then, and he said it is fine to hunt.
 
I even look for the ones that not even there anymore. Get the farmer permission before he lanats his crops or after they come off. Good luck.....Matt
 
Been to a few remote churches, mostly abandoned and in every case I've found the answer to be the same, "Go ahead, everyone else has."
 
Done it the church dated back to 1877 only came out with 1 1945 wheat penny and 2-3 pennies, 1 nickel, 2 quarters, 1-2 dimes. This is with countless hours on about 10 different trips.
 
soopacee said:
yeah, i got a nice little "to-do" list of churches and/or church grounds
I love it,I could not have thought of it better
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom