Anyone know anything about licence plates?

diamondjim

Mar 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st dig of 2K8 was a tough one...cold and muddy...but any january dig in Ohio that doesn't start with "frozen and snowy" is a good one.

Didn't get a single coin...despite promising old glass debris, but did manage these two licence plates...wired together.

I don't collect licence plates on purpose, rather I accumualte them...got about 20 in the garage. Just keep nailing them to exposed rafters as I find them (what else do you do them?) Thing is, these 2 are different...both made of aluminum. All the others I've dug over the years, found in garage sales or anywhere have all been made of steel. Does anyone know anything about plates? There any signifigance to using aluminum here? (Like were aluminum used for certain types of vehicles?) Just a passing thing? I have older Ohio ones, and plenty of newer...I'll have to go check if any of my others are ' 48 or '49...but all the rest are steel.

Not silver or anything fancy, but a pretty interesting first dug find of the year.

Attachments

• lc.jpg
    lc.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 633
Upvote 0

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
I use them for bird houses myself, looking for a 1956 one for my 56 chevy I am restoring if you happen to have one. you could always ebay them Pretty cool you found something 60 yrs old in the ground that still looks like that

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

coinman66

Nov 23, 2006
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle II SL 90
Yeah its the metal plate with various numbers and letters on the front and back of the vehicle used for identification purposes. ;D
Just had to doi it.
Wish i could help you out, sorry. HH
Coinman66

Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There was high demand for steel for the war effort in the 40's, perhaps that forced them to change how they made the plates.

bottles10

May 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garriet
think twice before you use them roofs on bird houses. The metal gets to hot in the sun and will cook the Babbie birds. They are just for looks

S

stefen

bottles10 said:
think twice before you use them roofs on bird houses. The metal gets to hot in the sun and will cook the Babbie birds. They are just for looks

Baked squab on the half-plate are great ;)

OP
OP
diamondjim

diamondjim

Mar 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Born Free said:
There was high demand for steel for the war effort in the 40's, perhaps that forced them to change how they made the plates.

Not sure war time metal needs had much effect by 1948, 3 years after the war ended. I'm begining to suspect these were more like "kitchen of the future." That highly opptimistic time when shinny new metals and fancy gadgets were starting to take off.

S

stefen

During the war years and following, many times whole new plates were not issued annually, just metal corner tags.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
People collect old plates.Some go for big bucks.Is the black and white one porcelain or just paint?Every thing found detecting has value.All the copper,brass,lead and aluminum i found last year scraped out at $50.00 some dollars.It paid for my batteries.

OP
OP
diamondjim

diamondjim

Mar 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Preachin' the choir...I made almost $700 last year in scrap metals, about half either dug or found in the woods while digging.

Just struck me as odd...I've dug plenty of licence plates over the years, plenty of large aluminum, but these were the first aluminum licence plates.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions