Anyone know how old this horseshoe is?

BJohnson

May 22, 2024
I found this horseshoe in Sterling Heights Michigan. There was a farm on the land from at least early 1800's until about 1950. It was right next to a big tree which helped move it close to the surface. I didn't clean it at all because I'm new at this and wasn't sure what to use and if something particular would ruin it. So I'll take any suggestions on how to clean if anyone has any.

Horseshoe 1.jpg
Horseshoe 2.jpg
Horseshoe 3.jpg
Horseshoe 4.jpg
Horseshoe 5.jpg
Horseshoe 6.jpg
Horseshoe 1.jpg
Horseshoe 2.jpg
Horseshoe 3.jpg
Horseshoe 4.jpg
Horseshoe 5.jpg
Horseshoe 6.jpg

I found this horseshoe in Sterling Heights Michigan. There was a farm on the land from at least early 1800's until about 1950. It was right next to a big tree which helped move it close to the surface. I didn't clean it at all because I'm new at this and wasn't sure what to use and if something particular would ruin it. So I'll take any suggestions on how to clean if anyone has any.

View attachment 2150478View attachment 2150480View attachment 2150482View attachment 2150483View attachment 2150484View attachment 2150485View attachment 2150478View attachment 2150480View attachment 2150482View attachment 2150483View attachment 2150484View attachment 2150485
Nice find! In my experience a nice vinegar soak should do the trick.

Welcome to TNet. At least no-one can accuse you of not providing enough pics! 😉 🤣

Here's an older thread that might help you date/identify it.

Welcome to TNet. At least no-one can accuse you of not providing enough pics! 😉 🤣

I was going to ask for a few more side shots just to get that 360 degree view. :laughing7:

Thanks for posting I thought same thing impossible to date! I have a few I know are very old that were dug in a colonial cellar hole. And others that I can’t ever recall where they came from.

Judging from your picture I would say it’s the bottom right. So late 1800s

Based on its shape and condition, it looks like it could be from the late 1800s to early 1900s. For cleaning, you can start with a gentle brush and some warm, soapy water to remove the loose dirt. Avoid harsh chemicals, as they can damage the metal. Once it's clean, you can use a bit of mineral oil to preserve it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back