ANYONE KNOW LATIN?

Not all Confederates were uneducated hillbillies. Albert Pike is also not the only genius they had. They were very well suited for deception on every level. the message by Cicero was put on a marker / compass point by another genius in Jefferson Davis's arsenal. Do you know how to read it? I would be grateful to hear what you think it says.
Thanks, L.C. Baker

Upvote 0
It's the first of two sentences sometimes quoted. It may be translated in this manner (IMO):
"For in discussing anything, the weight of reasoning and not of authority should be sought since the authority of those who profess to teach is on the whole a hindrance to those who wish to learn. For the later cease to depend upon their own judgment--and take for granted the conclusions of those in whom they confide."
Don........

Upvote 0
To me, the quote means: Learn from others (i.e. authority), but do what you think is the right thing, not necessarily what others have taught you.
Don.........

Could it be translated in any other way using the same latin phrase with another possible meaning?

Thanks for your help, Baker:occasion14:

Upvote 0
To me it means:

In a dispute, we hope the resolution comes from the influence of reason rather than the power of authority.

(We make this decision because it is the right thing to do, not just because I'm in charge and I say so.)

I believe our government could find a lesson here.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
To me it means:

In a dispute, we hope the resolution comes from the influence of reason rather than the power of authority.

(We make this decision because it is the right thing to do, not just because I'm in charge and I say so.)

I believe our government could find a lesson here.

DCMatt

Thanks for the interpretation. Do you think that it could mean:
What ever it is you are arguing about is not as important as each point you make during the argument?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the interpretation. Do you think that it could mean:
What ever it is you are arguing about is not as important as each point you make during the argument?

Well... Maybe... I think the statement speaks to how an arugument is resovled but it does not minimize the argument or the result.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
basically put in a rough context --let reason / justice settle the "right or wrong" of a dispute , not the "bosses" or powerbase just because they want it "their way" . --let reason rule men* not men rule over men without reason other than they want to be "in charge" for their own gain.

as close as I can come to a word for word - latin to rough English -translation *not as in fact as "power" in a dispute says it is , but rather ,as much as possible by reason which is the route we should take . -- ie think for yourself and do not be a "slave" to what those in "power" say is "right or wrong" since they might be in it for their own gain. --let reason rule.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
basically put in a rough context --let reason / justice settle the "right or wrong" of a dispute , not the "bosses" or powerbase just because they want it "their way" . --let reason rule men* not men rule over men without reason other than they want to be "in charge" for their own gain.

as close as I can come to a word for word - latin to rough English -translation *not as in fact as "power" in a dispute says it is , but rather ,as much as possible by reason which is the route we should take . -- ie think for yourself and do not be a "slave" to what those in "power" say is "right or wrong" since they might be in it for their own gain. --let reason rule.

It makes sense why the K.G.C. would use this latin phrase.
thanks for the input L.C.

Upvote 0
How does the works of Cicero tie into Treasure Hunter? This I gotta read.
Don.......

Don, In 1882 J.Sterling Morton a member of the inner circle of the K.G.C. and after that a member of the O.A.K., had the honorable Chief Justice of Nebraska Daniel Gantt who had passed away in 1878, dug up and moved to a special new lot in Wyuka which was actually a K.G.C. Spanish style compass point with an extravagant monument located inside of a triangle shaped plot. A few years after that Mr. Morton had the maker of the monument travel to Nebraska City and carve that Latin quote from Cicero carved into the bottom of the monument below a very special scale symbol. I believe it was intended to be a two way quote with a public and a hidden meaning.
"non enim tam auctoritatis in disputando quam rationis momenta qua renda sunt"

"In every argument we should have more respect to the weight of reason, than of authority."

Thanks for asking, :thumbsup:L.C.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back