Anyone know of a GOOD (not cheep) DRY (not wet) suit ?

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be working in the COLD and want to stay DRY. Wanting the BEST dredging dry suit.

I bought a cheap one and wrapped with with betchathane (I couldn't use the other spelling as the censors thought I was swearing). I look like the Creature from the black lagoon, but that stuff is tough and sticks to everything, even when wet. It makes an almost inpenetrable barrier too. To get a drysuit that would hold up to rubbing against rocks for 8 hours a day, would probably cost a small fortune. The other good thing, is no one wants to steal your suit as it looks like you got it at the goodwill or a yard sale.

OP
OP
H

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you both for very helpful responses. I would not have thought of using bituthene for re-enforcement.

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
WHites all day long. DUI is also a great brand. I use the bag style Tougher, but not a pretty to wear. But who cares what you look like.

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used it as I had a leak in my drysuit and we were re-roofing the cabin. And after fighting with that stuff all day, the lightbulbs in my head started popping. Stuff works great as long as you aren't using the normal rubbery wetsuit material. On the nylon drysuit material, it sticks like superglue and it is tough. Haven't worn through it yet.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer the neoprene drysuits. Run a Harvey's Aqua Capsule.

More streamlined.
Small holes self close.
Less need to add air.
Less to wear underneath.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check at tommy d sports .com I got a suit from them great people very helpful, reasonably priced. great product!

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Do yourself a favor..forget the drysuit. I love em when I'm diving..but they will NOT do the job when working. Find a thick..( 8/7mm) neoprene wetsuit...and get a hot water system. The amount of undergarments needed for warmth even when working will make it extremely difficult mobility wise.
If your running a dredge...set up a small hot water coil system around the existing muffler. Google plans ...cheap and straightforward.

Simple fact is..you can do a hot water system for 1/3rd of what a Drysuit will cost you..and the drysuit will be torn to shreds in a matter of days.

WARNING: Be VERY careful when starting the hot water flow into a wetsuit..you can scald yourself..it's no joke.

Hope it works out for ya.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
agflit, agree, still have my Harvey drysuit made of nylon, used a few times and you will get cold, so got me a 7m suit built a heater
beginning of season and end of season will use the heater, i run the hose front of neck and then run to the back of my skinsuit, only had to pull on the heater hose once, grateful it was in front, wetsuit restrcts movement, so as some of my friends learn ya can't reach the hose if it's in the back side,
oh Hunter if your interest in a slightly used drysuit give me a holler

OP
OP
H

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I ordered a 7mm dry suit from Proline. Made by Atlan. Custom fit, added pee zip and pocket. Can't wait to go jump in a frozen creek.

jayhaws20

Sep 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had problems with neck and wrist seals using dry suit while working I ended up very cold and wet but got some good gold in about forty minutes, Christmas Day last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread