Anyone know of any farm fields worth detecting in Central NY?

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some may, but I don't. Just looking for some places for the spring to go and I've never done a farm field before

khanos1

Oct 18, 2012
syracuse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh ok. I'm looking to hit up lafayette. Have you been out there or heard of anything out there?

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't go out that far most of the time...I'm in the Owego/Apalachin area

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEY BOBBY, IM WORKING ON PERMISSION ON SOME FEILDS IVE BEEN RESEARCHING---KEEP IN TOUCH---EASTERN BROOME COUNTY LINE------TOM

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
digging440yrs said:
HEY BOBBY, IM WORKING ON PERMISSION ON SOME FEILDS IVE BEEN RESEARCHING---KEEP IN TOUCH---EASTERN BROOME COUNTY LINE------TOM

Thanks for the response man, I appreciate it. I'll definitely stay in touch. I just wish this snow would go away!!

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
bby
I got a lot of fields to hunt here.Im close to Montour Falls witch was Queen Cathern Town...an old Indian village that Ge. Sullivan wiped out in 1779...right on The Sullivan Trail.
Gary

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bby
I got a lot of fields to hunt here.Im close to Montour Falls witch was Queen Cathern Town...an old Indian village that Ge. Sullivan wiped out in 1779...right on The Sullivan Trail.
Gary

Thanks for the response....sounds like great places to hunt. If you ever want some company I may be able to travel up there and join ya for a hunt or two sometime

Al/Lindley

Greenie
Jul 20, 2011
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Gary
I'm new to the metal detecting scene..I have a minelab etrac and my brother and I have used it this year outside Corning in the old coal towns below Mansfield. We went to Harris Hill right before it snowed and had a great time. I live near Corning and thought that if it ever gets warmer I could go along with you on any hunts you go on if you'd like company. Thanks!
Al Horning

ce550av8r

Feb 16, 2013
Elmira/Corning area, NY
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000, Garrett ProPointer, Garrett headphones, Lesche Digger
Hey guys, another newbie here. Horseheads. My father in law was telling me his friend found a couple of small cannonballs in the Catherine Creek area. I'm planning on checking out an old homestead foundation on family property this spring. Hopefully the metal detector I ordered which is BACK-ordered will be here in a few weeks.

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, another newbie here. Horseheads. My father in law was telling me his friend found a couple of small cannonballs in the Catherine Creek area. I'm planning on checking out an old homestead foundation on family property this spring. Hopefully the metal detector I ordered which is BACK-ordered will be here in a few weeks.

Sounds like a good place to start. How long has the property been in your family? Do you have old maps, photos, land records of the area? Now is a great time to research, so when the weather/snow breaks you can get right after it. After Apr.1st the trout fisherman will be hitting Catherine creek, so I suggest hitting it before then so that the fisherman don't "move in" in on your spot. Good hunting!

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ya Al/LindleyBobby/ce550/JOHUNT
I live in the country up above Montour Falls and have 50 acres here i live on King Road/old King foundation here filled in found the out house and i`m looking for a couple of diggers this spring.
I have access to over 6000 acres Fields,Woods, old Ponds ,Orchards,Cellar holes,Cabin sites, Creeks,old Roads... some on The Sullivan Trail.and i got maps for it all from 1860.
Soon the fields will be plowed and i hunt a lot of them...made a deal with the farmers if they lost anything off the tractor or equipment i would try to find it for them and these guys plow a lot of fields....some have been plowed last fall but still frozen.
I hunt Tuesdays ,Wednesdays,Fridays,Sundays....when it gets a little warmer hopefully in a couple weeks and i welcome some of you guys that are close to let me know ... and we can hunt here.Just PM me here i`m on here a lot .
Gary

Last edited:

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a heck of an offer and one that would be hard to turn down! I'll see what I can do to free up some time for a daytrip. The only downside is when the weather turns it will be construction season (specifically, concrete season).
It would be awesome to tag along with someone as knowledgeable as yourself. I too hunt along the Clinton/Sullivan trail. Near the Susquehanna. It is a fascinating piece of history and to think it all happened in our back yards!

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea man, a big thanks for the offer. I don't wanna pass it up either...maybe make a weekend trip out of it

ce550av8r

Feb 16, 2013
Elmira/Corning area, NY
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000, Garrett ProPointer, Garrett headphones, Lesche Digger
Too funny, we have family land up on King Rd as well - about 90 acres or so. We're getting tapped for maple syrup season right now. I'll definitely have to get ahold of you sometime - sounds like you have a great area up there. The family land has been in the family since the late 1950s I believe. Dairy farm for a number of years and the old homestead on the property is in an area that wasn't really used since well before the 50s. I'm excited to go digging up there finally, I've talked about doing it for years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How far would you say you are from owego? I would definitely like to come up and hunt with ya...i dont mind a day trip, but it would be cool to stay a couple or few days. Are there any places to stay around there?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread