Anyone know what "Scales" means on an 1877 map?

philber

Apr 11, 2016
Loveland Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm looking at n 1877 map and I see the word Scales next to a black dot on the map. At first I thought it might be a person named Scales and that was their house, but I see the same word Scales shown on several other areas of the map and it never shows a first name, so I am thinking it is something else, but what? The square dot and the word/name "Scales" is shown next to a road or highway, not railroad tracks. The nearest town is not a metropolis, so I cant see the need for a large number of weighing scales to regulate commerce (did they even have weigh scales on roads back then, or is that more a modern thing?) Anyway, anyone know what Scales means ona map? Its from historicmaporks and they dont have any sort of legend with definitions of what various symbols and words mean. Which brings up a new question - anyone know where I can find such a legend for deciphering terms and symbols on old maps (kinda more specific to historicmapworks, since googling such a thing brings up innumerable responses)

Thanks

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If it is an agricultural region it could be cart scales - which were common at the time.

Hay_Scale.png

OP
OP
P

philber

Apr 11, 2016
Loveland Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, I'm kinda leaning toward it is weighing scales, as it is an agricultural area, I just didnt think there would be so many in the same general region, but per the above replies, it looks like it very wel could be weighing scales. Anybody know if money changed hands at these locations? ie did you have to pay to be weighed, or was it local govt mandated and the local govt paid workers to weigh all the carts?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most were private scales. The hay wagon is a good example. Even in the 1860's farmers would sell futures contracts on their crops - like hay or wheat. The people taking delivery of the crop at harvest had to know how much they were receiving so they would know the final cost or profit. Weigh the cart going in empty then weigh it goig out full and it's easy to keep a tally on what is delivered.

I doubt actual money changed hands often in these situations. Just like today banks issued letters of credit which were paid off with the delivery of the crop. Banking was very local and everybody "ran a tab" with local merchants and each other. The scale might be used to weigh a cart of apples being used to pay off last season's hams traded from another farmer. Barter was big back then..

Money during this time period was silver and some gold coin. Banks mostly were just the most secure place to put your gold and silver coin until you needed it. No paper money, no checks.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked at a bar that had a scale for farmers. Didn't charge much. Most were deals between people buying and selling feed, grain and cattle

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE going Don Glad your a member here :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread