Anyone know what these were

Whatdayagot

Aug 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve been finding these at a early tavern site different sizes anyone know what they were used for diamond shaped on one end. B5F041FA-37C8-407E-B252-9D2689BE6809.jpeg 4387769D-9278-4D4F-A810-C9534694C764.jpeg 02EF0C52-00C4-4FA0-8646-9D3D37C53F5F.jpeg thanks

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a retainer to hold material together? That same design is used to hold sheet insulation on a wall.

Upvote 0

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe an early type of carriage bolt? Any sign of threads?

Upvote 0

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I find them too from time to time
I've always thought they were just a very long brass rivet of sorts...possibly on laminated wood or at a lap joint. The diamond shaped piece would be the backer and the rivet could be peened over to hold the rivet in place
what they came from originally, I dont know ,I have found them in different places and in different sizes too

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

Whatdayagot

Aug 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tavern dates from approx 1730-1805 they are found at the tavern site like most likely where it stood but I find different sized ones and also more than a few of them they aren’t threaded . Just wondering if it had to do with the construction of the tavern or something else I think they are made of iron

Upvote 0

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In many cases, vintage building construction also used them such as building doors where the hinge straps went across the doors and acted both as hinge and holding the wooden planks together making it into a door. Lock assemblies also used the same type of wood to metal methods. Rivets were very common in the early building construction and assemblies. Many vintage doors had a brace that went from the hinge side top to the bottom latch side of the door to prevent sagging. Rivets were very common in early buildings as well as horse drawn transportation/hauling wheeled equipment.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find them too from time to time
I've always thought they were just a very long brass rivet of sorts...possibly on laminated wood or at a lap joint. The diamond shaped piece would be the backer and the rivet could be peened over to hold the rivet in place
what they came from originally, I dont know ,I have found them in different places and in different sizes too

viking rivets.JPG

This technology has been around for a long time. Pictured above are iron rivets from a Viking ship.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread