Cottrell token a.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 273

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes! Minneapolis, MN

I have found City Directory entries for Charles E. Cottrell in Minneapolis as follows:

1902, 05, 06, 07, & 08: Charles E. Cottrell - cigars - 925 20th Avenue North - residence same

1904: Charles E. Cottrell - confections - 925 20th Avenue North - residence same

The Minneapolis City Directories from 1889 through 1914 list a Charles E. Cottrell who was head of C. E. Cottrell & Co., a barrel manufacturer, and later the Minneapolis Cooperage Co. I believe that this was the father of the man who had the tokens made. He may well have financed his son's business venture and lent the name of his early company to his son.

The fact that the son's business and residence addresses are next door to the address on the token may well have been an error on the directory canvasser's part. I can imagine the building having two doors, with numbers 925 and 927, with the residence being in the lower numbered one and the business in the higher numbered one. The canvasser may not have realized that there were two numbers.

The diework on the token is consistent with Minneapolis tokens of the era, and there are other known tokens from the neighborhood. So my conclusion is that this maverick is from Minneapolis, MN.

Best, John in ID

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread