anyone know where

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nickel Searcher 219 said:
I can sell an 1883 no cents v nickel?It is graded Ms-65 Gem Bu.I would like to know the value and the best place to sell it.

eBay. Or find a coin show in your area and show it to as many dealers as you can to find the best price? I've never sold any coins but this is just my thought:-)

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I cant sell on Ebay.Im 14.

Send em to me I'll sell em for ya;-)

I have a buddy that has sold at coin shows before. He never gets top dollar given the nature of the business but at least it would be a room FULL of buyers! You could try to create a bidding war if it was a nice enough coin!

OP
OP
Nickel Searcher 219

Nickel Searcher 219

May 25, 2012
are you serious about selling it for me??I dont want you stealing my coin,but I have no way to sell it besides Craigslist.and I have gotten 2 offers for less then 20$.On Ebay they go for around 160$ I think.And the Only Coin Show is in October Every year.

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
are you serious about selling it for me??I dont want you stealing my coin,but I have no way to sell it besides Craigslist.and I have gotten 2 offers for less then 20$.On Ebay they go for around 160$ I think.And the Only Coin Show is in October Every year.

I wish I could but just a word of advice...don't trust strangers!!! Don't let anyone take advantage of you in this hobby!!!

Where are you located!

Also why do you want to sell it in the first place?

OP
OP
Nickel Searcher 219

Nickel Searcher 219

May 25, 2012
I live in Springfield,MO.And I want to sell it because i paid 13.50 for it.and With the profits,I can crh again.Right now I am doing 20$ a week in coins.Thats all I got.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll second the what grading company? Ebay only allows the grades a few of the major grading companies to be used in sales. Any chance of some pictures?

OP
OP
Nickel Searcher 219

Nickel Searcher 219

May 25, 2012
Heres the pics.

Attachments

• image-307090207.jpg
    image-307090207.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 111
  • image-1406374593.jpg
    image-1406374593.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 107
  • image-625589604.jpg
    image-625589604.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 110

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Don't trust grades on 2x2's, irregardless of how trustworthy the LCS is. If it isn't graded by one the large TPG companies, then you have to be the judge yourself. When it comes to mint state grades, it becomes very difficult to distinguish the criteria from MS-63 - MS-65. Sure, it is easy to spot the difference between MS-60 and MS-67, but the in-between grades it is difficult. When looking at coin valuation, you'll note the jump in price is in MS-65 and above.

No dealer will pay the coin value's price. They need to turn a profit on the coin. Knock 10 to 40 percent off a coin's value to get in the ballpark of what a dealer will offer. So selling at coin show will not allow you to realize the profit that hope. You're only option is to place it on eBay. Get your parents to do it or another trusted adult. Also, realize that the 1883 No Cents is fairly common even in top grades. Good luck.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is difficult to determine the grade because of the reflection on the mylar film of the 2x2. For me the red flags to this are that you paid AU price for what the LCS is calling an MS65 Gem. Either the LCS doesn't have a clue about grading or he is simply inflating the grade to make unwary buyers think they are getting a deal. If there is another LCS in your town ask them to appraise the coin. That will give you a second hands on opinion as to grade and value.

gunner45

May 12, 2012
Bedford PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
ok thanks.Can I set a reserve for the coin when its on Ebay?

Yes or just start the bidding at your lowest asking price? Also just put it up for a buy it now and see what happens
I'd scan it without the holder as well.

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get that beauty graded! And I'm 14 too so I know where your coming from. But don't sell that gem! You're just selling gold, in the hopes you're going to get more gold? Why bother? You have gold now! Do just my advice... Get it graded and don't sell. Maybe then take it to a coin store and get it appraised.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Another thought: Don't sell it and don't have it graded until you consider selling it. Why pay the grading cost if you're not going to sell it. Instead, invest that grading cost cash and use it to buy something else.
Don.....

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Get that beauty graded! And I'm 14 too so I know where your coming from. But don't sell that gem! You're just selling gold, in the hopes you're going to get more gold? Why bother? You have gold now! Do just my advice... Get it graded and don't sell. Maybe then take it to a coin store and get it appraised.

You don't have to have anything appraised. All the info you need is right in front of you (your computer). Even 5 minutes of simple research should tell you everything you need to know about this coin.

And unless you are confident that it is AT LEAST MS-65 or better, having it professionally graded would be a waste of money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread