JustKeepDigging

May 2, 2013
Jupiter, FL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
PRL-1 Whites, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Picked up at garage sale, anyone know what this could be? Seems like it has sterling. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1559989244.159100.jpg

Lord Stanley’s cup???? No, can’t be, it’s in Boston tonight

Upvote 0
First, I don't think this was done by an "engraver".
Some in cursive, Chadwick? printed, ... different styles and lettering.
William ... with his giant flaring W ... wrote his first.
Taylor started off big and well-spaced only to go ... sh.t, I'm running out of space.
Engraver wouldn't make that mistake.

These are, what OP? 7 names ? ... are they all men ?
I think you have individual signatures.
Could be important, and would help a lot if you could spell out the names.

O M G!

Langhorne Gibson is the son of Charles Dana Gibson - the creator of the iconic "Gibson Girl".

Langhorne Gibson is a possibility ... but, imagine ... if it was Irene Langhorne Gibson.

OP can answer this by turning this slightly .
If there is an I., an IRENE, or a Mrs. to the left of Langhorne, then you'd have the signature of one of the most famous women in the world at that time ... the original Gibson Girl.

If there is a MR. or nothing to the left of Langhorne, then it's probably her son, ... Langhorne Gibson.

A tidbit of info was in this, "how they met" :

The story goes that Gibson met Irene Langhorne – sister of Lady Nancy Astor - Is the first name on this, Astor ? her sister is an Astor at a dinner in her honour at Delmonico’s in New York. She was sitting at a table next to novelist and friend of Gibson, Richard Harding Davis [ who incidentally served as the male muse for the often confused looking Gibson Man ]. That night Gibson sketched Irene’s young face and bouffant hair in his unique style for which he was making a name, and the first ‘Celebrity’ Gibson Girl was born.

I guess I'm kinda rooting for Irene, here ... so, what's to the left of Langhorne ? Is it her or their son ?

Upvote 0
First, I don't think this was done by an "engraver".
Some in cursive, Chadwick? printed, ... different styles and lettering.
William ... with his giant flaring W ... wrote his first.
Taylor started off big and well-spaced only to go ... sh.t, I'm running out of space.
Engraver wouldn't make that mistake.

These are, what OP? 7 names ? ... are they all men ?
I think you have individual signatures.
Could be important, and would help a lot if you could spell out the names.

Langhorne Gibson is a possibility ... but, imagine ... if it was Irene Langhorne Gibson.

OP can answer this by turning this slightly .
If there is an I., an IRENE, or a Mrs. to the left of Langhorne, then you'd have the signature of one of the most famous women in the world at that time ... the original Gibson Girl.

If there is a MR. or nothing to the left of Langhorne, then it's probably her son, ... Langhorne Gibson.

A tidbit of info was in this, "how they met" :

The story goes that Gibson met Irene Langhorne – sister of Lady Nancy Astor - Is the first name on this, Astor ? her sister is an Astor at a dinner in her honour at Delmonico’s in New York. She was sitting at a table next to novelist and friend of Gibson, Richard Harding Davis [ who incidentally served as the male muse for the often confused looking Gibson Man ]. That night Gibson sketched Irene’s young face and bouffant hair in his unique style for which he was making a name, and the first ‘Celebrity’ Gibson Girl was born.

I guess I'm kinda rooting for Irene, here ... so, what's to the left of Langhorne ? Is it her or their son ?

Good info! I wanted to like the post twice!

So the name at the top is Vincent Astor - super rich guy in the 1920's.

Upvote 0
E. G. Chadwick worked for Vincent Astor as a property manager.

E. G. = Elbridge Gerry

Upvote 0
What was the date when Prohibition ended?

Upvote 0
This prohibition era bar shaker is a real "Who's who" list of mid 1920's NYC society.
I don't know if it's worth anything, but the backstory is already awesome even without knowing who R. D. H. is or what happened on November 28, 1925.

It reads:

R. D. H.
November 28, 1925

Vincent Astor - 5th wealthiest man in America at the time

E. G. Chadwick - Real Estate, works for Astor

Charles H. Marshall - Stockbroker - Vincent Astor married Marshall's widow

Edward K ??? Cogg (McCogg?) - still unknown

Reginald B. Taylor - Banker - went to Yale with and related by marriage to Langhorne Gibson

William B. Dinsmore Jr. - Vincent Astor's cousin?

Langhorne Gibson - Publishing - Son of Charles Dana Gibson of "Gibson Girl" fame

These guys have big-time family money and NYC in common.

Astor, Chadwick, Marshall are on the war (WWI) records of the Knickerbocker Club - though they didn't serve together. R. B. Taylor has a connection through his half brother.

With that kind of history, I can see why someone in the family kept this piece. Too bad whoever sold it didn't take time to find out about it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am surprised that no one noticed that the date is Thanksgiving. It could have been used as part of a dinner serving for someone's fancy Turkey day celebration!

Upvote 0
This is so cool! What a neat find..
https://archive.org/details/VincentAstor/page/n5

Here is a link to the FBI files on Vincent Astor. I wish I had all day to dig into this but looks like his family owned a Yacht in Miami (maybe it could have come from his Yacht?)

These are letters and telegrams straight from Hoover!

*** Actually just discovered he didn't get the Yacht until July of 1928 *** $600K! Wow!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
R. D. H. = Robert Dinsmore Huntington

I'm betting November 28, 1925 is his wedding date.

He was the brother-in-law of both Vincent Astor (Helen Huntington) and Charles H. Marshall (Alice Huntington) and cousin to William Dinsmore Jr.

RDH is marrying Edith Taylor, sister of Reginald B. Taylor.

Langhorne Gibson is married to Marion Taylor - Edith's sister.

Speculation - bachelor party pitcher

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Excellent sleuthing, Matt.
The way these names are intertwining is fascinating.

There's a ton of info on the charities and social relationships they held.
These were "in demand" folks for every politician, charity, and social event.

A quick read speaks of the many demands on Irene, alone.
I can easily imagine her secretaries typing out rejection letters, as Irene would later sign the pile ?

This may be her quick, rejection signature ???
Compared to a more flamboyant G on the engraving ??? (The signatures seem to be taking a flamboyant look)

I admit, I hope this turns out to be her ... but, either way, it's developing in a fascinating manner.
Good sleuthing ... there's a LOT of threads coming together here.

Not sure if this jives with things, or not, ... curious what OP comes up with. :)

Irene Sig.jpg

Upvote 0
I'm thinking - not Irene.

RDH was at Yale with Reginald Taylor and Langhorne Gibson - which, IMO, adds more credence to the bachelor party theory. This was the guy's night out...

Upvote 0
Confirmed. Wedding date.

Here's the text from the New York Times November 22, 1925"

MANY relatives and friends will go to Mount Kisco on Saturday for the marriage of Miss Edith Taylor, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Moses Taylor, to Robert Dinsmore Huntington, son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert P. Huntington of this city and Staatsburgh-on-the-Hudson.

Upvote 0
I am surprised that no one noticed that the date is Thanksgiving. It could have been used as part of a dinner serving for someone's fancy Turkey day celebration!

I'm pretty sure the year is 1925. In 1925 Thanksgiving was on the 26th.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
"While a student at Harvard University in 1912, Vincent (Astor)" inherited an estimated $69 million when his father went down with the Titanic."

Upvote 0
R. D. H. = Robert Dinsmore Huntington

November 28, 1925 is his wedding date.

He was the brother-in-law of both Vincent Astor (Helen Huntington) and Charles H. Marshall (Alice Huntington) and cousin to William Dinsmore Jr.
RDH is marrying Edith Taylor, sister of Reginald B. Taylor.
Langhorne Gibson is married to Marion Taylor - Edith's sister.
Speculation - bachelor party pitcher

Possibly a gift from the grooms men...

I'm sure the whole story is here:

wedding newspaper.JPG

Look at that head line!

If this shaker were mine, I'd get a print of that newspaper to go with it. I'm confident it has every name that's engraved on the shaker in the article.

This "What is it" is the most fun and most rewarding research I've done on T-net in quite a while. Thanks for posting!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Way to go this is a great solve!!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back