JustKeepDigging

May 2, 2013
Jupiter, FL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
PRL-1 Whites, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Picked up at garage sale, anyone know what this could be? Seems like it has sterling. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1559989244.159100.jpg

Upvote 0
img_0001_large.jpg Whats with that uniform? probably had his own navy:treasurechest:

Upvote 0
Excellent research, Matt.
I didn't take time to follow this possible lead ... maybe you can pull this loose thread into the fray ? IDK
The years and social status align to offer a possibility.

----------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------- -----------------------------

Louis Butler McCagg had been retired from his legal practice almost since moving into No. 18 East 84th Street.
He and Edith focused their attention instead on philanthropies and social life.

The couple was at their Newport villa, Morning Side, on September 20, 1929 when son Edward arrived from New York to spend the weekend.

----------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------- ---------------------- ----------------------

Edward King MCCAGG 1

Born: 29 MAR 1901 at: New York, New York, United States 1
Married: 21 FEB 1928 at: New York, New York, United States
Died: MAR 1963 at: Stonington, New London, Connecticut 1

Father:Louis Butler MCCAGG
Mother:Edith Edgar KING

Upvote 0
Excellent research, Matt.
I didn't take time to follow this possible lead ... maybe you can pull this loose thread into the fray ? IDK
The years and social status align to offer a possibility.

----------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------- -----------------------------

Louis Butler McCagg had been retired from his legal practice almost since moving into No. 18 East 84th Street.
He and Edith focused their attention instead on philanthropies and social life.

The couple was at their Newport villa, Morning Side, on September 20, 1929 when son Edward arrived from New York to spend the weekend.

----------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------- ---------------------- ----------------------

Edward King MCCAGG 1

Born: 29 MAR 1901 at: New York, New York, United States 1
Married: 21 FEB 1928 at: New York, New York, United States
Died: MAR 1963 at: Stonington, New London, Connecticut 1

Father:Louis Butler MCCAGG
Mother:Edith Edgar KING

McCagg and R.D.H went to prep-school together. St. Paul's School Class of 1920.

That makes it look even more like a gift from the groomsmen.

Upvote 0
View attachment 1722847 Whats with that uniform? probably had his own navy:treasurechest:

Close, lol, very close, nagant.

The Department of State
The Department of War
The Navy
The Justice Department

... were all ordered to report directly through an
agency known as the Area Controller.

The Area Controller "agency" was Vincent Astor U.S.N.R.

The reason Astor had such a "comfortable" uniform is
because he was a life long friend of Roosevelt.
He was rich, trusted, and put to work.

RDH didn't need his own Navy.
His best friend and drinking buddy had one by the you-know-whats.
A comfortable uniform would not have been a problem. :)

Astor.jpg

Upvote 0
Sorry all! I didn’t check in for a little while, but WOW!!! Look at all this information! Can’t thank you all enough for the research!

Upvote 0
Possibly a gift from the grooms men...

I'm sure the whole story is here:

View attachment 1722788

Look at that head line!

If this shaker were mine, I'd get a print of that newspaper to go with it. I'm confident it has every name that's engraved on the shaker in the article.

This "What is it" is the most fun and most rewarding research I've done on T-net in quite a while. Thanks for posting!

Absolutely amazing!!! True detective work. [emoji1]

Upvote 0
So I’m very conflicted everyone. I am a post college student with some great debt. I’m not sure if I should hold onto it because I am a history junkie and literally shaking while reading this, or should I get it appraised. What do you guys suggest I do? I’ll be printing that article out as well. Remember having a topic about Gibson. Can’t believe this. The goosebumps are real!!!

Upvote 0
I'd imagine the value would be difficult to determine. Probably not more than a few hundred dollars. It might be worth more to the right collector. The problem will be finding that collector.

Upvote 0
I'd imagine the value would be difficult to determine. Probably not more than a few hundred dollars. It might be worth more to the right collector. The problem will be finding that collector.

Thanks for letting me know. I think I’ll just keep it. Love the story behind it.

Upvote 0
I'm not an expert and I intended to state that in my post. I was just giving my opinion. I am really not sure what it could be worth. I just think the market for an item like this would be pretty limited and that might keep the value down.

Upvote 0
I'm not an expert and I intended to state that in my post. I was just giving my opinion. I am really not sure what it could be worth. I just think the market for an item like this would be pretty limited and that might keep the value down.

I agree with Doubter (Disclaimer - I'm not an expert, either.). The history of the names on this piece is eye-popping but beyond the fascination, I doubt there is very much dollar value. The simple fact that you now know that history adds a really big cool factor to it IMO...

I'd sign up for a free subscription to the Newspaper archive and print the page with the article about wedding, then make some drinks and think about all that money those guys had.

Oh, and another 'cool factor' is that it's a bar shaker from the prohibition era. Although I'm sure those guys had no trouble getting booze to put in it.

I am a little curious about who you got it from and their connection to R. D. H., but we'll probably never know.

As I said before, this research was the most fun I've gotten from a T-net thread in quite a while. Thanks again for posting.

Upvote 0

Yes a limited market but I found out that all you need is one person that wants it.

Upvote 0
Preferably two people! Great post and detective work folks, a truly unique find!

Best wishes!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back