treasurehuntr2
Jr. Member
- Joined
- May 21, 2006
- Messages
- 92
- Reaction score
- 4
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- san francisco, ca.
- Detector(s) used
- Bounty Hunter
Mackaydon said:TH-2:
Look at the top line of the opening page on Treasure Net, click on Sedwick Treasure Coins banner, then click on Practical Book of Cobs icon. Order and read the book, you'll be well educated in cob coins by the time you finish.
Don.......
bigcypresshunter said:At first glance the castles were not right but I guess it just wears funny. The lion looks great.
Mackaydon said:This type of coin can have a great variance in the 'mm' size of diameter since the coin was created by being rolled from a bar (like a cookie dough rolled bar) then cut by hand.
A 99 Potosi 2 Reale might be hard to find. What I usually do is compare the 2 lions to the 2 castles (on the same cob) to see if they are the same. As far as I know they should be the same. But all in all with my limited knowlege I will say again that I think its real. The bent cross doesnt bother me but I just cant visualize the top lion and top castle.DiveWrecks said:bigcypresshunter said:At first glance the castles were not right but I guess it just wears funny. The lion looks great.
Ten tears of die punching can make a castle look like a shoe box.....Seriously, comparing minute design elements over a coin spread of ten years won't tell you much.
Stan
I agree. The more I learn, the more I realize I dont know.DiveWrecks said:It would be nice to pick up one book and become well educated. It takes many books, auction catalogs, and of course study to achieve even a rudimentary knowledge of cob coins.
It seems the only sure way of knowing if a cob is a fake, from a picture, is to find a match because no 2 are alike.The dies are created using a variety of punches. Complex individual design elements like the castles and lions are transferred to the dies (prior to heat treat) from a master punch. This was discussed briefly in this cob forum thread:bigcypresshunter said:A 99 Potosi 2 Reale might be hard to find. What I usually do is compare the 2 lions to the 2 castles (on the same cob) to see if they are the same. As far as I know they should be the same.
But all in all with my limited knowledge I will say again that I think its real.