What's new

anyone seen anything like this?

chukers

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
1,824
Reaction score
147
Golden Thread
0
Location
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know about Iron crosses I know about marksman medals... this is the same shape but its neither... I was hoping someone here could help... its in pretty bad shape and it about 1.5 inches by 1.5 inches it looks to be brass or copper


Chukers
 

Attachments

  • cross front.webp
    cross front.webp
    61.1 KB · Views: 486
  • cross back.webp
    cross back.webp
    70.7 KB · Views: 481
  • cross front.webp
    cross front.webp
    61.1 KB · Views: 488
  • cross back.webp
    cross back.webp
    70.7 KB · Views: 477
I was going to suggest a badge for the 2nd Division of the 5th Corps, but I don't know. The enscription of the 2 doesn't look that Military :dontknow:

Maltese Cross Pin
Gen. Joseph Hooker suggested that all the troops choose a symbol to recognize their Corps and Gen. Daniel Butterfield designed them. The 20th Maine was part of the 5th Corps, who chose the Maltese Cross. The color red signifies the 1st Division of the 5th Corps.


20thMaine..webp
http://community.curtislibrary.com/pejepscot/catalog.htm (about one-third page down)

Mike
 
Upvote 0
both of those are good ideas... but it don't exactly match up... I don't see where anything else attached tot he top or the front.. it would cover the #2...

the silvery color on the back looks like solder or some kind of brazing... it does look like the holes might of been melted.. maybe who ever tried to attach a backing to it...

maybe its just in too bad of shape to be recognized... I really just don't know what else to say about it.


Chukers
 
Upvote 0
I've looked at all kinds of badges and the closest is a fireman's badge... but it isn't exact... Anyone else got any other ideas somone else said CW corp badge but I don't know what that is.

Chukers
 
Upvote 0
I've changed my mind about the number not looking Military.

I found this excellent site which displays numerous Civil War Pennants, with exactly the same style of numerals.
http://www.americanwars101.com/facts/1861-1865/usa/usa-VI-corps.html#

cw 2 flag.webp

I'm thinking you probably have a Civil War Unit Badge, possibly the 2nd Division of the Vth Corps.

Mike
 
Upvote 0
trikikiwi said:
I've changed my mind about the number not looking Military.

I found this excellent site which displays numerous Civil War Pennants, with exactly the same style of numerals.
http://www.americanwars101.com/facts/1861-1865/usa/usa-VI-corps.html#




I'm thinking you probably have a Civil War Unit Badge, possibly the 2nd Division of the Vth Corps.

Mike

that would be cool, but I'm not really in a civil war area, and I know that don't mean anything... but I've never ever seen anything like this in anyone's civil war collection.

Chukers
 
Upvote 0
The fact that the number shows through in places might be due to the metal being thinner in this area and deteriorating more quickly. It could've been in a fire, causing those spots to melt through. The maltese cross is often seen in Fire Dept. related insignia. I hope you find the right answer and let us know!
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom