All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very few pinpointers go deeper then an inch, so not worth much. The Detectorpro Uniprobe and pocket probe will go about 6 inches, but neither are waterproof.

OP
OP
pwcguy

pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• vibra_580.jpg
    vibra_580.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 521

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
That's too funny, I had the same exact idea. I even got the vibra probe but haven't tried it yet. The first vibra probe I got had a hair line crack on it and leaked as soon as I got into the water. They did replace it and I will try this technique sometime.

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur 1000, CTX 3030
I have been wondering that too. Something like that would be great to sneak into a state park, where detectors are not allowed. I know one in particular that must be a gold mine!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stitchlips said:
I have been wondering that too. Something like that would be great to sneak into a state park, where detectors are not allowed. I know one in particular that must be a gold mine!

Just keep in mind, they can not only confiscate the detector, but also your vehicle.

OP
OP
pwcguy

pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depth wasn't too much of a concern for me. I was gonna stick it in cracks in rocks and stuff like that where the currents and tides drop the goodies off. Not too many people detect in 10 feet of water should be lots of stuff close to the top. :thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pwcguy said:
Depth wasn't too much of a concern for me. I was gonna stick it in cracks in rocks and stuff like that where the currents and tides drop the goodies off. Not too many people detect in 10 feet of water should be lots of stuff close to the top. :thumbsup:

I wish you good luck, certainly not trying to discourage you, it's just going to be hard to find jewelry that are not buried under at least a few inches of sand, there is just too much underwater movement.

goldfever

Nov 6, 2009
pwcguy said:

I thought the same thing. After spending $1k on snorkeling gear and trying it out for several days, I realized that it is not practical to snorkel. It's too much work and not enough air to try and hold your breath, dive down 10 feet and dig targets.

However, I didn't waste my money cuz all I need is a hookah now.
The gear cost me $1k cuz I'm in cold water.

Anyway, I been snorkeling with an underwater detector and figured out that if you are going to go to all the trouble of detecting underwater then having air is a must.
Snorkeling is not profitable unless you are in waist deep water.
So what I do is wade with a wetsuit, mask and snorkel. I dont detect in water deeper than 5 ft. Ideally, I like to detect in water shallow enough that I can breath through my snorkel while digging targets at the same time.

Lou from downunder

Mar 16, 2009
Hi Goldfever, yeah I wade with suit, mask, snorkel, flippers to.

Makes such a difference clearly seeing the bottom.
If you want to cover every inch you can scrub the coil along the sand, this leaves a distinct mark. Makes it soooo much easier to grid being able to tell where you've already been.

Breath hold comes with a bit of practice. Can make a huge difference recovering goodies that are down cracks or between rocks. I've recovered some great items that would NEVER be picked up in a scoop.

Lou.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread