What's new

Anyone snorkel with a pinpointer?

pwcguy

Full Member
Joined
May 20, 2010
Messages
222
Reaction score
61
Golden Thread
0
Location
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking that it might be fun to snorkel and just use a pinpointer and go down and check out the cracks and crevices. :sign13:

If anyone has tried this did it work out? Or was it just a waste of time. :tongue3:
 
Upvote 0
Very few pinpointers go deeper then an inch, so not worth much. The Detectorpro Uniprobe and pocket probe will go about 6 inches, but neither are waterproof.
 

Attachments

  • vibra_580.webp
    vibra_580.webp
    5.1 KB · Views: 550
That's too funny, I had the same exact idea. I even got the vibra probe but haven't tried it yet. The first vibra probe I got had a hair line crack on it and leaked as soon as I got into the water. They did replace it and I will try this technique sometime.
 
I wondered about the ones with the paddle on the end... I wonder how deep they go...
 
I have been wondering that too. Something like that would be great to sneak into a state park, where detectors are not allowed. I know one in particular that must be a gold mine!
 
stitchlips said:
I have been wondering that too. Something like that would be great to sneak into a state park, where detectors are not allowed. I know one in particular that must be a gold mine!

Just keep in mind, they can not only confiscate the detector, but also your vehicle.
 
Depth wasn't too much of a concern for me. I was gonna stick it in cracks in rocks and stuff like that where the currents and tides drop the goodies off. Not too many people detect in 10 feet of water should be lots of stuff close to the top. :thumbsup:
 
pwcguy said:
Depth wasn't too much of a concern for me. I was gonna stick it in cracks in rocks and stuff like that where the currents and tides drop the goodies off. Not too many people detect in 10 feet of water should be lots of stuff close to the top. :thumbsup:

I wish you good luck, certainly not trying to discourage you, it's just going to be hard to find jewelry that are not buried under at least a few inches of sand, there is just too much underwater movement.
 
pwcguy said:
Depth wasn't too much of a concern for me. I was gonna stick it in cracks in rocks and stuff like that where the currents and tides drop the goodies off. Not too many people detect in 10 feet of water should be lots of stuff close to the top. :thumbsup:

I thought the same thing. After spending $1k on snorkeling gear and trying it out for several days, I realized that it is not practical to snorkel. It's too much work and not enough air to try and hold your breath, dive down 10 feet and dig targets.

However, I didn't waste my money cuz all I need is a hookah now.
The gear cost me $1k cuz I'm in cold water.

Anyway, I been snorkeling with an underwater detector and figured out that if you are going to go to all the trouble of detecting underwater then having air is a must.
Snorkeling is not profitable unless you are in waist deep water.
So what I do is wade with a wetsuit, mask and snorkel. I dont detect in water deeper than 5 ft. Ideally, I like to detect in water shallow enough that I can breath through my snorkel while digging targets at the same time.
 
Hi Goldfever, yeah I wade with suit, mask, snorkel, flippers to.

Makes such a difference clearly seeing the bottom.
If you want to cover every inch you can scrub the coil along the sand, this leaves a distinct mark. Makes it soooo much easier to grid being able to tell where you've already been.

Breath hold comes with a bit of practice. Can make a huge difference recovering goodies that are down cracks or between rocks. I've recovered some great items that would NEVER be picked up in a scoop.

Lou.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom