Anyone tried the new Excellerator coils on a Whites MXT/DFX ?

I have the 12.5 I think its called I got it from kellyco and to tell you the truth I hate it. It is heavy and on the air test the depth was the same as the factory coil. But seance I paid all this money for the stupid thing I took it out to see what it would do, Not impressed at all. I had a hard time finding the pinpoint with it, so I ended digging holes that were 12inches to find the stupid penny. I took it off and hung it on the wall and have not used it sense. I talked to somebody about it and he told me to give it one more try before I get rid of the heavy expensive thing. But I have not at this time.

If I were to get an new coil knowing what I know now I would get a WOT coil. All I here about them is good so that is what I would do next time.........

I have not tried one. I have read posts on other sites about people giving them rave reviews. Others, like you, are not impressed. I know they are manufactured over seas and believe they are not built to White's standards. Maybe some work better than others. I really don't know.
Personally I'll stick with White's for any xtra coils I buy for my MXT.

I've got two of the excelerators the 5" and 8", both DD's. I use them on my MXT. The little 5" is super in the trashiest of areas. I got a free 6 x 10 from Whites for a story I wrote. There doesn't seem to be much or any difference between the 8" and 6 x 10 for depth.

Check the Finds MXT forum. Run a search and you will find people who rave about them. I think they work well but I have my doubts that they dramatically increase depth. I have had them for 1 1/2 years with not trouble. They both pinpoint spot on.

I believe Monte gave his approval on the 8" and 10" but didn't like the bigger coils.

Rob

Think about it. If there WERE a better mousetrap, (ie.: superior coil guts, that give better depth), don't you think that the manufacturer would be "all over themselves" to get that technology for their own stock machines?

Most (probably ALL) of the time, the supposed "extra depth" is only due to the aftermarket coil being larger. Like the old Hot-Head aftermarket coils, they used to advertise "XX% more depth!", but if you looked close at their ads, they'd be comparing, for example, the stock 9.5 Whites coil, to their 12" aftermarket coil. Well duh! Of course you go deeper with larger coils. So too will the manufacturer's own larger coils go deeper than their own smaller coils (with the inherent draw-backs of larger coils, and eventually hitting a point of diminishing returns on coin sized items).

Stick with the manufacturer's stock coils. A friend of mine tried the 12" Excellerator on his Explorer, and got horrible results. The stock 10" was getting much clearer signals, better TIDs, etc...

Thanks Schrecky..........I didn't think to look in the DFX forum

I got the 12 inch whites "spider" coil this year. The pinpointing seems to be the same as the 9.5 inch coil. Much better for hunting larger, not too trashy areas like farm fields.

I got a Whites Super 12" coil with mine too, but haven't used it yet. I figured it would be good for the beaches when I go to Texas for the winter.

I have the 4.5 x 7 and love in trashy areas. I was going to buy a 8, but was told not to due to I had the 4.5 x 7 with same coverage. I have tried a 18, but I don,t think much of it over Whites 1400 DD. I been told once you get over 8" the Excelerators are not that good. I was having problems pinpointing at a battleground this past weekend with the 18 that I borrowed from a buddy. Depth readings were way off also.

I went to a FMDAC hunt over the weekend is FOREST HILL CA and talked to a guy from Arizona that people call THE MAYOR. I asked him about the excelorator coils on the whites and he told me not to run it and if you do don't tell whites about it because it can cause warranty issues. I don't know if it is true are not but thought I would let you know.

Thanks for that info, I think I'm just going to stick with the Whites coils, either get a 5.3 or maybe a 4 x 6 ?

John

I don't know if you know it ,but one of the engineers was from White's at one time. That might be the issue.

I picked up an 15" excellerator for my DFX about 2 years ago and wasn't even remotely impressed. Pinpointing was impossible, the depth settings on the screed were off constantly...

I got it for a steal... and then sold it and bought the 1400DD coil from whites.
steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back