Anyone use peroxide on military buttons

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
I found an early 1800's navy button.There is a lot of very hard dirt crust on it that water soak and later a toothbrush won't removeThere does not appear to be any gilt left.I have had some success with peroxide on copper and bronze coins.Does anyone have any experience using it on buttons.Don't intend to sell it just bring out more detail.Thanks

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LI Tom said:
I found an early 1800's navy button.There is a lot of very hard dirt crust on it that water soak and later a toothbrush won't removeThere does not appear to be any gilt left.I have had some success with peroxide on copper and bronze coins.Does anyone have any experience using it on buttons.Don't intend to sell it just bring out more detail.Thanks

I have used it on military buttons with gilt and with no gilt left, but your dirt sounds like it is cemented on but nothing to lose by trying. I know quite a few button hunters who use peroxide all the time on their buttons for initial cleaning, and then if gilted they have various other methods to bring out the gilt.

Good luck, hope it works, if not, keep soaking it in water, preferably distilled....Don't put in olive oil if it is a two piece button, it will leach out for years from inside the two pieces. :(
Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread