What's new

Anyone used this scoop before? Is it any good?

fishingdevil

Full Member
Joined
May 1, 2013
Messages
151
Reaction score
25
Golden Thread
0
Location
Next to the sea
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I need a good handy scoop for handy work on dry sand and wet water edge sand.
I already have stealth scoop but I find it more suitable for use in water... Hence considering a smaller handy one

Anyone using this one? http://bit.ly/XvBoLZ

Care to comment?
 
Upvote 0
If your in the USA I would say no, Not local. Only one I would purchase out of the states would be Stavr's and his are cheaper.
 
Go with a T-Rex or RTG scoop.
 
Hi OBN, do you have any links to stavr and which scoop would fit my 'handy' requirement? I don't want another stealth-scoop-sized scoop... I need something much lighter I guess
 
For dry sand or wet where waves can wash out the sand, use something like this. Buy Sand Scoops, Beach Scoops, Moose Scoops, Water Scoops, Sand Sifter

Beachmaster.webpNot as good as a Stealth but lighter and they hold up well.
 
I got one of these from a local detector guy named Larry that is selling them for Howie that makes them in his shop. Very light and strong.

It was on eBay, but here's the Craig's list link that I originally found it on Metal Detecting Beach/Sand Scoop, Light, Strong Alloy

Howies sand scoop.webp
 
Last edited:
Limited Beach Experience. Dry sand only-so far. They make some decent scoops. I have the Sven version that I will be adding some re enforcement to before use. I like the fine holes in the back part on the one you pictured. Looks like it would be a great dry sand scoop.
For a lighter alternative I like that al scoop that is shown above.
 
This looks very good... I wonder if he will ship international... crossing my fingers!

click on the reply link he will respond. It was a day and a half for me but he will respond.
 
This looks very good... I wonder if he will ship international... crossing my fingers!
That scoop is aluminum and if you pry on something with that pointed tip it will bend. That's why they don't make pointed tip aluminum scoops. It will work great as long as you don't pry anything with it. From experience, you will come across things you need to pry on. At the bottom of that add it gives a warning about not prying with it.
 
If he's local and you don't plan on being in any rocks go for it. I'm thinking along the lines of Lookingdown you will run across rocks or objects and with the adrenaline pumping because of that good signal, you could bend that tip easily.
 
click on the reply link he will respond. It was a day and a half for me but he will respond.

Hi MiamiFox, how's your experience with the scoop thus far? Is it weak as what some of the posters had mentioned above?
 
Last edited:
Hi MiamiFox, how's your experience with the scoop thus far? Is it weak as what some of the posters had mentioned above?

I understand aluminum is softer than stainless but I don't have anything to compare it with because I'm new at this and wanted something light to carry around. It is well made. He did tell me not to use it as a pry tool but I've been abusing it and really digging deep with it in beach sand and in the water with no bending. I have hit some hard things and rocks but I know to just take it slow. I'm going to put a D handle on it the kind that is on regular shovels. It would be nice if there was one made of plastic but I don't think they would hold up.
 
I understand aluminum is softer than stainless but I don't have anything to compare it with because I'm new at this and wanted something light to carry around. It is well made. He did tell me not to use it as a pry tool but I've been abusing it and really digging deep with it in beach sand and in the water with no bending. I have hit some hard things and rocks but I know to just take it slow. I'm going to put a D handle on it the kind that is on regular shovels. It would be nice if there was one made of plastic but I don't think they would hold up.

I'm not familiar with the aircraft aluminum alloy that he's pitching about... I wonder if its really much strong than regular aluminum.
I've been using the stealth since my lightweight 'drain scoop' which cost less than USD3 a piece had failed me after 8 hunts in the dry and wet sand.
 

Attachments

  • image-1051632859.webp
    image-1051632859.webp
    39 KB · Views: 150
I need a good handy scoop for handy work on dry sand and wet water edge sand.
I already have stealth scoop but I find it more suitable for use in water... Hence considering a smaller handy one

Anyone using this one? http://bit.ly/XvBoLZ

Care to comment?

I have the "Howie" scoop mentioned down below. Big strong. Not too heavy. I have a round alum scoop as well. Get one with a long handle. Less time on your knees or bending over.
 
I have the Trex and so far so good.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom