Anyone versed in Nox and T2?

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi diggers,
I spent eight years daily hunting with my trusty T2SE. I gave it up cold turkey as soon as the Nox came out. I was an early adopter, so have been running the Nox for a few years now.

I've gone back my old sites with the Nox, and have done well, but it's hard to compare because the vegetation, soil changes etc.
The Nox did get my attention with some deepies. In 8 yrs with the T2, me deepest copper came in at a measured 11in. The nox has gone 12in on two or three occasions already. BUT, I never seem to be totally sure what I'm digging with the NOX, at least not as sure as I was with the T2.

The last few weeks I took them both to a local park. Not trashy.
I was trying to ascertain which was better with deep, high conductors. I dug about 100 targets, trying them with two Nox settings then the T2 (settings below).

Take away- The T2 is better Iding and giving the shape/sound of targets DOWN TO FIVE INCHES.
After that, both Nox programs come alive and the T2 drops off the face of the Earth.

The Nox never IDs targets with any accuracy, even shallow, but all depths it tells you there is non-ferrous down there, and it's a high conductor.
Example, 8in wheat penny, heard by both Nox programs, some low grunts on the T2.

The T2 does cover more ground as it has to be swung faster and is easier to swing, but this wouldn't make me go back.
I'm happy with the depth of coins on the Nox. It might be a different story 20 yrs ago when there was many shallow coins.

I'm no scientist, so don't take these results very seriously...and it was only one site, over a few weeks time. I'm guessing people will mention ways to make my comparison more accurate.

Thanks for reading!

1- Nox, 5kHz, disc 18, sens 23, gb 38, recovery was middle of the road (2 on my 600)
2- Nox, Park1, Multi, disc 18, sens 23, gb 38, recovery 2.
3- T2, 2+ tones, disc 10, sens 85

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am glad you posted this. I was going to run some tests in my test garden with the F75 (dusting it off) after some interesting results with the Simplex, Vanquish, Equinox, and Deus in various modes. Almost wish I hadn't gone there as what it has proven to me is that no one machine does it all (I knew that already) but the gaps where performance drops off on specific machines is not intuitive, like your discovery that the deeper machine (Equinox) does not ID as solidly on shallow targets vs. the T2 (not as deep, but rock solid IDs on shallower targets). Not intuitive at all, but I believe you that it IS real. For example, I have found the Vanquish to hit harder on shallower high conductors than the Equinox in my test garden - but this is more qualitative then confirmed with controlled settings and conditions. More to come as I do some more testing...

OP
OP
C

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the reply, V. It's amazing how complicated comparisons are. My partner for some years used the F75 when I was using the T2. I know how similar they are. I'd be interested to see your results. But when all is said and done the Nox seems to have too much. It's surprising the T2 is even in the same ball park (it was a ball park lol), I mean with only one frequency for my high conductor test.

Under the right circumstances, I could break out the T2 again (shallow targets, maybe a time constraint, maybe my arms start to hurt, haha).

I forgot to mention I air tested some of the targets and found the Nox was about an inch further than the T2. I'm guessing it's compounded in the dirt. The two Nox programs I used were neck and neck in the air tests. HH

Last edited:

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charlives, what you are describing is very similar to what I dealt with using a T2 and F75 along side an Equinox. First, after more hours than I can count anymore (3000+) with the Equinox, I have never, ever, had a modern US coin give just one numerical target ID number no matter how deep or shallow it is. Clad is clad and the Equinox is going to read the original clad substances and the oxidized stuff too (as in zinc oxide for zinc pennies, the white powder on the surface of zincolns). I'm just glad I am not trying to detect modern Canadian steel core coins!!!. Even Minelab says explicitly in the manual that target ID is relative to many factors and numbers may vary. I know they printed in the manual that US nickels are 13 but that ain't happening where I detect. They are 11-12-13 here. The same goes for lead targets too. Lead oxidizes and morphs into other chemical compounds just like zinc and copper. However, I have had larger gold nuggets, larger gold jewelry and fresh modern bullet and casing drops read one number if they aren't too deep. I have learned the 2 to 4 number sequences for all of the modern US clad, other common targets and jewelry by now and know what to expect. I always know if I am digging a low, mid or high conductor with the Equinox which I can't say for other single frequency detectors on targets past 3" to 5" in depth here.

The FTP detectors that I have used like the F75, T2 and especially the F19/G2+ are outstanding at numerically IDing shallow targets. Here in my bad dirt that is about 3 inches for these great detectors (the F19/G2+ can go 4" to 5" probably due to the smaller 19kHz wavelengths) along with so many other excellent single frequency detectors. After that depth, mineralization takes over and target IDs will jump by 10 or more numbers and the deeper the target the bigger the spread until its just beep and dig past 6". Most will read a 6" US nickel in the silver zone or just won't even hit it. The Equinox will not only hit a 6" US nickel here, it will also continue to give that same back and forth sequence of numbers 11-12-13 all the way to 12" or so.

So, in my opinion, which your testing reflected, the Equinox is just average on surface to 3" deep targets in bad dirt and 5" or 6" in good dirt. After that the Equinox is in another league, similar to the Etrac.

Jeff

Last edited:

Chopperdog24

May 4, 2020
Indianapolis, IN
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Equinox 600, T2 SE, Nokta Simplex+ XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a 600 and a 800. I keep the 6" coil on the 600, and I like it. I also have a T2SE, (newest version), and am happy with it. (on my 4th T2), Metal detectors, like girlfriends, need some variety........

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As an early adopter have you kept up with the updates on the Equinox?

Chub

OP
OP
C

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, how are you on your 4th T2, Chopperdog? I have two of them that still run. I had the green one then added the black.
My last update on my Nox 600 was the bottle cap, lights dimmer update, Chub...I think I'm up to date, although its been a while now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread