Apache, OK History resources?

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
I own a house in Apache, OK. I will be moving back there, and besides digging my entire yard up, I am looking for other old places to hunt. I really want to find my first silver, and relics would not be bad either? I figure if I find any cool old stuff I can always donate it to the historic society.

So, is there anywhere I can get info on this town? The web has been pretty sparse.

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
You are right smack dab in the area that Jesse James buried some of his loot!
Also there is a Spanish cache near Cement worth $200,000.00

Jesse James Cement Caddo OKSouthwest 10 Misc.
Spanish Cement Caddo OKSouthwest 200000 10 Coins

This info is from my U.S. Treasure Database which is downloadable from my web page:

http://myweb.cableone.net/thewitness/

I hope you find some good stuff! :thumbsup:

Timberwolf

OP
OP
Libralabsoldier

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
I substituted at Cement and Cyril high school a few times. The principal at Cyril still emails me from time to time asking me if I want to teach there full time.

That is great news, Timber!

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
If you find one of JJ's cache's or the Spanish one.....be sure and send old Timber a token of your appreciation. :wink: ;D

TW

OP
OP
Libralabsoldier

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Well, we may not see eye to eye politically, but that is done and done! ALthough with my less than premier detectors, it will have to be a pretty large cache. Google maps is pretty disappointing for that area. There is an old abandoned house down at the bottom of the hill from the Apache park and fairgrounds, but I cannot find an address. I want to find the owners to ask them if I can hunt it.

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Libralabsoldier said:
Well, we may not see eye to eye politically, but that is done and done! ALthough with my less than premier detectors, it will have to be a pretty large cache. Google maps is pretty disappointing for that area. There is an old abandoned house down at the bottom of the hill from the Apache park and fairgrounds, but I cannot find an address. I want to find the owners to ask them if I can hunt it.

I never let political differences get in the way of treasure hunting! :thumbsup: ;D

Find yourself a county map of the area that shows the Sections, Townships and Ranges.
Locate the property in question, on that map.
Make a note of which Section, 1/4 Section, Township and Range, that the property is on.
Take this information to your County Courthouse, and they will be able to tell you who owns (pays the taxes), on all property within that 1/4 section of property.

Timber

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool part of the country. Check out Maury Tate's Mo' Betta store. Frank James came down and bought a place over by Fletcher after he was cleared of all crimes. Your best source of info is always the locals. See if you can look up Steve Schultz and Kevin Bean. Steve's Dad Scooter was a coon hunter and Apache Police Chief for a long time. He can tell you about the Bat Cave. Bean is a Park Ranger at Ft. Cobb. You're on your own in trying to get them to talk to you. If you're ex-military that will help. Ah well, tell em I sent you. I worked with Schultz at Carnegie PD and Bean at Ft. Cobb SP. Steve can tell you about Silas Isom too, last prospector in the Wichitas. You're welcome, good luck bud!

okey dokey

Mar 23, 2009
Muskogee
Timber,
I recently ran across a website that wil give you township and ranges on google earth. I typed in "Oklahoma township range" and goole earth poped up. I put in my location and if you wait about 2 min. the range lines come up. Put the cursor over the blue dots and it will give you the section number. Zoom out until you get a whole township and put your cursor over the orange dot and it will give you township and range. Pretty neat.

Okey Dokey

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
okey dokey said:
Timber,
I recently ran across a website that wil give you township and ranges on google earth. I typed in "Oklahoma township range" and goole earth poped up. I put in my location and if you wait about 2 min. the range lines come up. Put the cursor over the blue dots and it will give you the section number. Zoom out until you get a whole township and put your cursor over the orange dot and it will give you township and range. Pretty neat.

Okey Dokey

Thanks! I'll have a look. ;D

TW

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
Remember also that you're right in the middle of Comancheria, a region controlled by the Comanches (principally Quanah Parker)and Kiowas until about 1875. Of course they were constantly pursued by the US Army. Keep your eyes open for metal arrowheads, and various metal equipment e.g., gun frames, picket stakes, cartridge casings, brass bridle rosettes, etc. Those pieces are still occasionally found and historically, can be of significant value.
Good luck,
Docmann

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool you brought that up, Docmann. The Comanches had extensive contact with the Spanish, more so and earlier than most plains tribes. In regards to metal arrowheads the Comanches do not 'remember a time when they used stone arrowheads'. As they had contact with the Spanish, and sometimes not on friendly terms, this would explain the presence of some Spanish artifacts found in south western Oklahoma. Coronado did not pass there, it was an item taken by a Comanche on a raiding trip down into Mexico, and later lost. They went down there quite often. Some Kiowas once went so far south that they saw monkeys in trees. That would have been cool, but nobody would believe you if you tried to explain it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions