What's new

Approximate Age of Barrel Tap?

Kyle PA

Hero Member
Joined
May 12, 2009
Messages
957
Reaction score
15
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
My uncle dug this tap at our new site last Sunday. What is the approximate age of it? The tap portion looks different from other ones that I've seen posted before.

PIC00001.jpg
 
I feel like I say this a lot but its the only period site I will hunt.....I dig those at 1850's sites :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
With the thread, I would have said 19th c onwards :P

SS
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
With the thread, I would have said 19th c onwards :P

SS

Do you think around 1810-ish would be possible?
 
Upvote 0
KylePA said:
Silver Searcher said:
With the thread, I would have said 19th c onwards :P

SS

Do you think around 1810-ish would be possible?
Kyle I can't find one of the date range, that has a threaded rear end, they are usually of a spigot type fitting, it seems yours might be later date :-\

SS
 
Upvote 0
It doesn't look that old in that picture. :-\ The one you dug last year fit the site well.

Kirk
 
Upvote 0
This cask spigot looks brass. Correct?

I would say mid 1800's or older.
I had one Id'd from the University last year from the 1600's. It was pewter.
Another dug like yours was estimated mid 1800's
 
Upvote 0
Here a few that I knew what box to look in,these all came from pre-1860 sites
 

Attachments

  • spigs.webp
    spigs.webp
    30.1 KB · Views: 422
Upvote 0
You need closer pics Kyle, from the start. Like the cut copper I spoke about with Kirk, I now might change my answer for this one. I have seen some Colonial era items that were threaded so that might not be enough to push it into well into the 1800s. The early ones we have found here have always been smooth though.

What was the latest stuff you guys dug there?
 
Upvote 0
With the threads I would guesstimate it to be Civil War era or newer (i.e., mid-1800s on up), but I don't really know. I dug one on a CW site but it was totally different than any of the ones shown here.

It's old, I can say that with confidence. At least a hundred years, I'm sure. But I have trouble imagining it being older than the mid-1800s, personally.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom