Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,
As the years roll on and I get older and older, I need a few tips, please. The "eyes" are not what they use to be.

I need to find a good (fair price) jeweler's mag glass. Can't see faint mintmarks anymore. I am getting to the point that the Walmart spectacles and the hand-held mag no longer work in combination! :laughing9: Time to go to the eye doc. It is down hill when you are +50.

I also need to find a good scale for silver (and gold--> I can dream).

Any comments would be welcome.

apush :read2:

Upvote 0

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
APUSH: I bought a 16X loupe at Hobby Lobby in their coin supply section. I've also seen them in bookstores same section. Works great for about $15. Also bought a scale accurate to a 1/10 of a gram (digital does Troy oz, oz, grams) for less than $10 on Ebay. Been working for 5 yrs with one battery change. Hope this helps. I'm 45, and just got bifocals, know what you mean :wink:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a nice 10x loupe at my local coin shop with a leather case that goes around your neck for around $15. Best thing I got for magnifying! hh

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mrs. Apush :headbang:

Might I suggest a headset that the coin dealers use. Sits on your head and flips down when you need more magnification and then back up when you do not need it. They are not that expensive and can make finding small items on a coin much easier.

jmAfpxV1cipU1gKpklxBDI_V_RBh-6N9Avhf1lFRbfPhS8L45Vx8FEkdWyhYNFoOZnZ0Ad_D4lgBDXiGl9S17iH1JRPSgMCjTXIAyUC6S5hRw3UCuYqBTvyczztYi22ZoUrdcCu_f9V02pcQLtoj5wQAw4D8

Similar to these - Cost is $28.00 or less online.

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Hi Apush,
Wish I could help you, but I'm so old and my eyes are so bad, so I just open the rolls and hold them in front of "Riley". He sniffs and wags his tail if there's any silver. Otherwise he just moans!...then I put them in the "dump" pile. Hope that helps. By the way...he's for "rent" at a roll of 90%ers per hour if you ever need him.
Love ya!
rileyboy

yonico

Dec 25, 2010
New York City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
apush said:
Hello All,
As the years roll on and I get older and older, I need a few tips, please. The "eyes" are not what they use to be.

I need to find a good (fair price) jeweler's mag glass. Can't see faint mintmarks anymore. I am getting to the point that the Walmart spectacles and the hand-held mag no longer work in combination! :laughing9: Time to go to the eye doc. It is down hill when you are +50.

I also need to find a good scale for silver (and gold--> I can dream).

Any comments would be welcome.

apush :read2:

Hey
I have so many loupes lying around at my store
PM me I'll send you one. No charge

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Cheapo
Riley,, can you train a cat. Got two of them in the house, yuk, daughters babies.

byzanthia

Oct 8, 2011
north Dallas
Primary Interest:
Other
Numismaniac said:
APUSH: I bought a 16X loupe at Hobby Lobby in their coin supply section. I've also seen them in bookstores same section. Works great for about $15. Also bought a scale accurate to a 1/10 of a gram (digital does Troy oz, oz, grams) for less than $10 on Ebay. Been working for 5 yrs with one battery change. Hope this helps. I'm 45, and just got bifocals, know what you mean :wink:

I bought the 16x loupe at Hobby Lobby last week but returned it today. It was the chromed one with "something- and sons co" in "handwriting" on the metal... I found the focus very, very poor and swapped it out today for a magnifier with LED light they also stocked.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread