What's new

Apush: Mintage/Redbook Question?

apush

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2009
Messages
1,942
Reaction score
212
Golden Thread
0
Location
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would someone please be kind enough to explain the following:

The "Red Book" lists 1986P Kennedy (MS-63) with production of 13,107,633 coins. 1987P & 1987D has a mintage of 2,890,758 with the grade of MS-63 as well. I know that the latter is included with mint and souvenir sets.

So, why is the 1986P more "valuable?" than 1987P, for instance? Guess I am missing the point. :dontknow: I had assumed that lower mintage would equal more value? But, you know what they say about assuming . . . .

And, I have almost completed a full set of clad Kennedy-Cameos. Anyone else keep these as well? Sad that there not worth really anymore than face value. I have a few that appear to be pretty darn purty. I am giving lots away in Christmas cards this year.

About to drag Mr. Apush to go dump this weeks rejects. :icon_sunny:

HSH,
apush :read2:
 
Upvote 0
I'm really not sure why that is, although Redbook prices are usually over-inflated, but give good general info on coins.
 
I've got this one for you guys! The reason is because even though they didn't make very many 1987 halves, they were almost all saved in BU condition since they were included in the mint sets. Check out the value on uncirculated 1982 and 1983 coins, especially quarters. They are worth $20 or more in BU. That's because the mint didn't sell sets that year. Nobody saved nice uncirculated coins. You would have the find of the century if you ever got a brand new roll of 1982 or 83 quarters.

Just one of those weird things...

While mintage is one part of the value of the coin, there are many other factors. It's still a thrill to get an 87 half!

Happy Hunting
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom