What's new

Apush

apush

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2009
Messages
1,942
Reaction score
212
Golden Thread
0
Location
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. Apush and I settled down by the pool with 3 boxes of halves tonight. Popped the top of a cold one and commenced to begin our evening.

I was 2 boxes short from one of my banks. My fault. I had told the head teller when school started to only order me 2 rather than the traditional boxes 4. She remembered. Since then, we have found a dump bank on Saturdays.

Fair to Middling Results: 3 Boxes
5 Bens (1 was a 1955--my first)***Correction (dang it!) It is a 1953. That is why I should wear my reading glasses. Those darn 5s and 3s look almost alike in some cases. Darn the luck.


36-40%

I also picked up a nickel box (3 war nickels) and a dime box (1-1964 & 1-1945S). Also found 2 dated buffs, 2 non-dated buffs, and one V-Nickel that was in the worst shape possible (1885--last digit almost unreadable).

Starting a part-time job soon. Adjuncting as a professor of history at a local community college on the weekends. Gotta pay for a wedding. 14 years and counting toward retirement!

I hear the Galveston beaches calling me. :icon_sunny:

New: I will be sending that V-Nickel to one of our posters to verify. He is an expert in coins. Hope I got that one right!

Happy Hunting!
Prof Apush :read2:
 
Upvote 0
You had an amazing day! :hello2: "Bad condition or not, you can still say I've found a V nickel in circulation!" That nickel box was great. Did you find any 1938 jefferson nickels?
 
The 1885 is the key to the series could be worth a few hundred depending on condition
 
No. Not this round. Several 1940s & 1950s. But no real keepers.

apush :read2:
 
Thanks, but it is in such sad shape. I can only make out the obverse. I can see the date and the outline of the head. Nothing to be seen on the reverse.

Dang the luck!

apush :read2:
 
Awesome finds! I'm sad your cutting down on boxes. I love hearing all the cool stuff you find!

Keep it up as much as possible.

-bigJ
 
Fair to middling you say, well you are a hard one to impress young lady! looks like a pretty good evening to me. plus you got a nice dime box and a smoken box O'Nickels! Nice work all around you 2, and HH!

Chuck.
 
Nice score on all the boxes. I'm still looking for my first V. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
HH..Miner
 
That was a great box of nickels. Just to give you an idea of the rarity of your 1885 nickel, my 2008 Redbook lists it at $560.00 in G-4. Even in poor condition, it's still going to be worth some cash. Congrats! :icon_thumleft:
 
Very nice indeed "professor " Apush ! It never ceases to amaze me, that people are just
tossing coins - well over a century old , into the hoppers ! or newer, large silver coins as well.
I too am an adjunct at the local community college -( Silversmithing I - appropriately enough )
Argentium.
 
Deb, congrats on the boxes. I'm glad they are still producing for you. We need pictures of both the V and the 55 Franklin. Nice cull on the silver.
 
Congrats, Apush. You seem to be on a roll. Keep up the good work. "Riley" and I are rooting for you. He knows when you have silver and always asks me if I've heard from you. Glad to see you back on the forum.
rileyboy
 

Attachments

  • 0829001108.webp
    0829001108.webp
    15.3 KB · Views: 561
  • 0829001108.webp
    0829001108.webp
    15.3 KB · Views: 567
Sounds like the boxes were good all around for you. That's awesome, keep at it. Makes me want to get some boxes.
 
I gotta learn how to upload pics with my camera. Will call that daughter of mine.

apush
 
Get out a magnifying glass/loupe and check the 55. Focus on Franklin's mouth (upper lip). Does it look funny? If so, you might have found a 1955 Benjamin Franklin "Bugs Bunny". Either way, I would still love to see pictures. If you have access to a scanner, you can go that route.
 
Apush is good enough as my "title."

I think most folks know me by now. If they elect to read my posts, so be it. If not, so be it. I am too old, too grouchy, and too set in my ways.

apush :read2:
 
If they only knew what Apush stands for. The acronym must be driving some crazy. Thanks for the job you do with today's youth.
Too many parents just drop their "drape monkeys" off at school and hope you will prepare them for a life at "Jack in the Box".

Good Luck this Fall Lady, Jim
 
That 1885 is worth north of $450 in G4 condition!! Go get that baby certified by your local coin dealer!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom