What's new

ARA Refinery - Experience and Results.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2015
Messages
1,147
Reaction score
2,376
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Edit: No longer maintaining post.
 
Last edited:
We have used ARA for many years with no problems. Two-Thumbs way up! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:
 
You did better than I at a local dealer, I got 45-% of gold melt value of a couple of 14 K. Items. I won't deal there again
 
Great write up Skippy! It's really appreciated. I'm still saving up all of my scrap gold and silver from yard sales (unfortunately no MD finds to date) so if I ever decide to sell them this will be the way to go.
 
Skippy, thanx for the write-up of your experience ! HOWEVER:

1) The fact that you had to give them your tax-payer ID # (your Soc. Sec. #), and

2) the fact that the payout is over $600 to you,

Means that they will be issuing you a 1099. Meaning: You must report it on your taxes now.

Does anyone know if ARA is reporting the payouts (the ones over $600 anyhow) to the govt. on the 1099s? Have you, or has anyone here, who's sold to them, seen a 1099 in your mailbox the following January or February ?

If so, a possible way around this, is to parse out your sales to various buyers for $599 or less from each smelter/refiner ?
 
Last edited:
That's a really decent return.
You won't get a 92% melt value, using local jewelers.
Especially in NYC.
Excellent post
 
Geib Refining Corp. Precious metal refining and reclaim, Warwick, RI USA
If you have amounts in the Oz. range these people are good. Used to be 3% to refine and 3% to buy it. Some places charge 10% to refine and higher. They have been in business for a long time. For dust and nuggets, you have to state the State and county for taxing. Feds, State, and County taken out after the 6%. Checked them out back in 1980 when my brother and I first started looking.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom