Archaic Points

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found at a small site I've been pecking at recently. First one is a quartz LeCroy--very thin and barely over an inch long. The second is a Koens Crispin...and I think we have another name for it in Va.

LeCroy.png

Koens Crispin2.jpg

Koens Crispin.jpg

Upvote 0

Quartzite Keith

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The second one is "Cattle Run", but I'm, nit-picking because it's the same thing as Koens Crispin. The type site is in Chesterfield County, right next to where 288 and 95 meet. All up and down the east coast there are these Late Archaic "broadspear" forms with a Morrow Mountain like base, but the points are bigger and "flatter" having larger width to thickness ratios than Morrow Mountain. In Virginia they coincide with and are considered a "variant" of Savannah River. The ones in central Virginia are pretty much always quartzite and represent the best of the best knapping in that material.

McAvoy and McAvoy in their work along the Nottoway River use yet another regional name, "Island Swamp" and date it as "Late Archaic transitional".

https://www.dhr.virginia.gov/points/cattle-run/

OP
OP
Huzzah!

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ISLAND SWAMP! That was what I was looking for. Thanks Keith. Couldn't remember what NRS called it.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds! That banded quartz is a dandy.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds great for a nice display case

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread