South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The University of Pittsburgh Archeology Department is doing a dig at my town’s historical society property, mid 1800’s farmstead. They wanted to dig and investigate some anomalies from their previous GPR run near the old carriage road.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1575743258.223354.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1575743325.990096.jpg

My 11 year old daughter and I pitched in with some digging and some detecting in the 10’x10’ pit as the layers were removed. Lots of square nails, bits of brass, pottery and glass pieces. And this piece that appears to be wrought iron.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1575743500.553646.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1575743511.137316.jpg

Anyone have a guess to what this is?

Thx!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like one end would go in the ground and the other end would go over something held to the ground kind of like a RR tie just a uneducated guess

Upvote 0

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was going to say, meat hook, but the upper end if this item is confusing - is it broken at that end?
I'd suppose it was to be attached to something, and to hold something very aggressively, too...!
Thanks for the post - its good to see metal detectors are used in archaeology, too...!~ :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was going to say, meat hook, but the upper end if this item is confusing - is it broken at that end?
I'd suppose it was to be attached to something, and to hold something very aggressively, too...!
Thanks for the post - its good to see metal detectors are used in archaeology, too...!~ :icon_thumright:

Thx! Meat hook makes sense, The dig is adjacent to the locations of the summer kitchen and smoke house. The one end is definitely flattened thin. Potentially this flattened area was 2” longer and had a hole punched in it to mount.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like one end would go in the ground and the other end would go over something held to the ground kind of like a RR tie just a uneducated guess

Thx Tommy! That’s a potential idea.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm fairly confident it's a broken trammel hook.

A trammel is an adjustable device to hang a cooking pot in the fireplace.

trammel1.jpg

With the debris you found you might be on the location of a previous house or maybe a summer kitchen.

Upvote 0

MadTom

Dec 6, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bandido umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some 17th-18th century trammel were adjustable so you could slide them in and out. May explain the flat end if it was broken off 48843BBD-B7B4-4A01-9F4C-BAAAC1A4F5ED.jpeg

Upvote 0

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Count yourself lucky that you have archeologists in your area that will embrace your assistance on their digs!

Quite the opposite in my area and many others where the archeologists despise our hobby and are doing their utmost to create ordinances to shut us down.

Upvote 0

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Meat hook in my opinion.
Found similar before.

Meet hooks were commonly used in a “ smoke house” for curing.

Upvote 0

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be clear... all meat hooks are not the same. Some are shaped to hang over a cross beam. Attaching meat depends on hook end. Some meat like a ham are hung by string.

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm fairly confident it's a broken trammel hook.

A trammel is an adjustable device to hang a cooking pot in the fireplace.

View attachment 1777573

With the debris you found you might be on the location of a previous house or maybe a summer kitchen.
My first thought as well.

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Kudos to you and your daughter for volunteering your assistance in the investigation! :icon_thumleft:
This is a memory you guys will share years from now.

All my 17 year old daughter wants me to do is drive her to the mall. :laughing7:
Dave

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kudos to you and your daughter for volunteering your assistance in the investigation! :icon_thumleft:
This is a memory you guys will share years from now.

All my 17 year old daughter wants me to do is drive her to the mall. :laughing7:
Dave

Thx! My 14 and 17 year olds had zero interest in participating. Sleep was more important. The Archeologists were super friendly and methodical. I had permission to detect the whole property a couple weeks earlier and gave them the lay of the land as far as 9” deep goes; where their was modern fill, old brick frags, limestone chips, charcoal and in general areas where most of the older items were popping. They have a dig scheduled at an 1812 national battle site and we discussed partnering, but obviously not keeping anything.

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thx! My 14 and 17 year olds had zero interest in participating. Sleep was more important. The Archeologists were super friendly and methodical. I had permission to detect the whole property a couple weeks earlier and gave them the lay of the land as far as 9” deep goes; where their was modern fill, old brick frags, limestone chips, charcoal and in general areas where most of the older items were popping. They have a dig scheduled at an 1812 national battle site and we discussed partnering, but obviously not keeping anything.

Kudos to you for offering to assist the Arkies in their up coming dig on the battlefield site, most Arkies that I've met tend to look down their noses at us. I'm sure a large number of folks who metal detect would be happy to volunteer in the recovery of local history for a worthy cause as you and your daughter did. :thumbsup:

You'll have to let us know if the 1812 national battle site hunt happens, now that would be a memorable hunt!
Dave

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread