What's new

Are bags the way to go?

clovis97

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2010
Messages
3,206
Reaction score
632
Golden Thread
0
I am getting ready to jump into CRHing, and I'd like to know if bags from coin counters are the way to go.

I have two banks that will sell me bags. Are bags better than boxes?

Thanks so much!!!!
 
Upvote 0
It all comes down to luck. Bags can be very interesting and fun to look through. Just realize though that most 'good' bags can take months, even years to fill up. If they fill up frequently, it's probably someone elses dumps.

Good luck! :thumbsup:
 
Everytime I read about bags, people post good results. Unfortunately, where I am, we don't get bags.
 
There is no guarantee that you will get a bag off a coin counting machine, unless you specifically watch them take it off. If you are ordering bags, you might get a some keepers as banks will fill a bag up to $1000 to send back to the processing facility (Brinks, Loomis, etc.) If someone dumped $800 and the bank adds $200 of customer rolled halves to the bag, then the potential lies in the $200. However, you could just as easily (and more than likely) get bags of dumps. When I dump, there is 20k in clad that gets bagged. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end.
 
Thank you for the replies!!!!

I've found two banks that will sell me bags off of the counters. I'm still trying to decide which of the two will be my supply bank, and which will be my dump bank.

I am getting excited about this!!!!
 
Might be a stupid question....But..How do you guys ask for the Bags?
 
It's not difficult. If they have a coin counter ask them if they will sell the bags. Make sure to tell them you won't bring them back there to be dumped. Some will sell, some won't. No easier way to put it.
HH
enamel7
 
enamel7 said:
It's not difficult. If they have a coin counter ask them if they will sell the bags. Make sure to tell them you won't bring them back there to be dumped. Some will sell, some won't. No easier way to put it.
HH
enamel7

So thats it??..Does there have to be a certain amount?..or do they just give me whats in the bags..Sorry..I just never knew i could buy bags
 
The majority will only sell full bags. Amount depends on what machine is calibrated for. Some people talk about bags on it holding $200 in halves. The machines I use have these: $1000 bags of dimes quarters and halves, $200 in nickels, and $50 in cents.
HH
enamel7
 
First of all I have accounts at the banks I deal with and yes I open accounts just for that reason.
I go to the teller and have gone to the mgr and tell them I want to buy there .50 pieces. Some of the banks will sell the bag regardless of the count and some won't sell till the bag is full. The banks I deal with will call me when the bag is full.

Advantage, you can find some really old coins this way and I know a lady that found a gold coin in a bag. She offered it to me last year and I should have bought it at weight value.

Disadvantage, foreign coins and slugs that make it through the counters. Very dirty coins (human/pet DNA).
 
The biggest advantage of bags is there is no way CRH competitors can cherry pick out of the bags like they can buying rolls or looking thru loose. The bags stay on until it's full then it is shipped off. As long as the tellers don't pick thru them and take out the silver then they should produce pretty good. It is well known for tellers to go thru bags of coins to cherry pick and yes they can get away with it.
 
Jimmy@romega said:
The biggest advantage of bags is there is no way CRH competitors can cherry pick out of the bags like they can buying rolls or looking thru loose. The bags stay on until it's full then it is shipped off. As long as the tellers don't pick thru them and take out the silver then they should produce pretty good. It is well known for tellers to go thru bags of coins to cherry pick and yes they can get away with it.
The disadvantage is when you fill the bag and the teller says she's already had to change it once today. You can usually count on someone's dumps.
 
Coin machines around here reject Silver and Foreign coins so there is NONE in the bags. I prefer boxes anyway. Back when I could get bags they didn't produce much. :-\ :-\
 
Went through a $500 BAG of .50 today and only found seven 40%. Usually do much better than that and I would not doubt that the bag had been picked over. The bag was full yesterday at 11:30am and they would not let me have it till this morning. It is my first dump bag that did not produce a 90% coin. I have had bricks that produce blanks but not a dump bag. This was at a branch that I do not have a track record with. :(
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom