jimb said:The coin klinks when dropped as apposed to the nice ring of silver.
I'm sorry to hear that, but "klinks" mean kounterfiet. "Tings" rhyms with "blings" and that my friend, is the reale thing!jimb said:Thanks Cuzco and Mack, I should have an expert check it out. But it does seem to be a fake to me.
Mackaydon said:Jim: You asked: "I was told by someone a long time ago that cobs were also made of copper and sometimes made of lead. Can this be true?"
Yes--and No.
Cobs were suppose to be about 94% silver (later reduced somewhat). The balance of the coin was composed of copper (usually) and sometimes iron and other metals. Lead coins I associate (with distaste) to reproductions.
Don.....
jimb said:Iron Patch, You sure know more about Cobb's then I do. I only know the basics. Most of my treasures are packed away, I have a few more Cobb's but all seem fakes. Here are some of my fake Cobb's. They are easy to tell, they all clink when dropped, no ring. The one at the top of this page ran me about $90. on eBay. The rest ran $5. and $10. I actually have some pretty good looking fake Cobb's somewhere around here.