I agree with the above posts. To me, relic hunting is not about the money. It is about digging something up that hasn't been seen in over a 150 years. Its about spending time with my father and one of my best friends. It is about figuring out where that camp was or where men fought and died for something that they believed in. It is seeing a bullet for the first time in 145 years that was fired in anger for that belief. It is about digging a button that a man wore proudly on his coat, or a belt buckle that he fastened everyday. It is about the happy dance my dad, my friend, or I do when a good item is dug. It is telling the story of how you found the relic 1000 times; how deep it was, was the back of the buckle facing up, was it under that pesky tree root that caused you to sweat for an hour after you finally got it recovered, and the gallons of poison ivy cream that you have rubbed on after hunting in that remote spot. It is recovering the buckle in my avatar and my father looking in the hole with me as I picked it up.
I do believe a man has every right to sell anything he finds, although I will never part with my collection. Hopefully the item was found with permission from the property owner and no foul was amiss. But, I would not recommend doing this for the money. First, good finds are few and far between...like stated earlier, go get a job at a fast food place...you'll do just as well. Also, I know of some people who have sold every relic that they have ever dug...and they are greedy. They hunt at night so that they don't get caught by the property owner that wouldn't give them permission, or slip on to places where detectors are forbidden without the slightest hesitation. They have also ruined the reputation of honest relic hunters and detectorist abroad.
In short, sell your relics if you like, but have the decency to do it in an honest fashion.