What's new

Are Theese Proof?

FunWithTreasure

Hero Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2008
Messages
783
Reaction score
347
Golden Thread
0
Got these out of a roll today. They have some kind of weird tint to them kinda goldish looking..Are they proof??? Just though I would ask because of the good shape they are in.
 

Attachments

  • Coin.webp
    Coin.webp
    23 KB · Views: 381
  • CoinR.webp
    CoinR.webp
    39.7 KB · Views: 365
Upvote 0
If tha is 1989S then yes they are. any halves with an S on them 1968 to present is a proof coin..

Great job on the finds
Jason
 
I didnt know that. Thanks much yes they all have s on them...Are they worth keeping?
 
FunWithTreasure said:
I didnt know that. Thanks much yes they all have s on them...Are they worth keeping?

They are worth keeping. Not sure how long they have been in circulation, they look like they are in good shape. Proofs that have been circulated are considered "mishandled proofs" doesnt carry the normal book value because they have been circulated but I would still keep them, becuase they are not made for circulation. Also when you are looking in halves I keep all halves 2002 to present becuase they are also not made for circulation(no matter what mint mark P,D,S) Keep up the good work. Also you might want to go pick up a Whitmans "RED BOOK" it is a price guide and tells about what coins are what, or just go to a book store and get coin value's price guide or some type of price guide. Wal-mart near me carries "COINS" magazine price guide, that will work also.

Happy Hunting,
Jason
 
Shake-N-Bake said:
FunWithTreasure said:
I didnt know that. Thanks much yes they all have s on them...Are they worth keeping?

They are worth keeping. Not sure how long they have been in circulation, they look like they are in good shape. Proofs that have been circulated are considered "mishandled proofs" doesnt carry the normal book value because they have been circulated but I would still keep them, becuase they are not made for circulation. Also when you are looking in halves I keep all halves 2002 to present becuase they are also not made for circulation(no matter what mint mark P,D,S) Keep up the good work. Also you might want to go pick up a Whitmans "RED BOOK" it is a price guide and tells about what coins are what, or just go to a book store and get coin value's price guide or some type of price guide. Wal-mart near me carries "COINS" magazine price guide, that will work also.

Happy Hunting,
Jason

PLEASE AMERICA STOP SHOPPING AT WALL MART..........

MOJO
 
Those are proofs. They are probably silver as well with a nice patina(spelling) on them which is what is making them a different tint.

-Golden Silver
 
golden silver said:
Those are proofs. They are probably silver as well with a nice patina(spelling) on them which is what is making them a different tint.

-Golden Silver

No they are not silver. Silver proofs did not start until 1992. More than likely someone put them over a flame to burnish them. I have seen proofs like them before but mine seemed to be cooked more.

65GT350
 
I am a little confused 65gt because I have several silver s mint proofs before that date including a recently found 1976 s mint proof silver and several from the 80's???

-Golden Silver
 
I am a little confused 65gt because I have several silver s mint proofs before that date including a recently found 1976 s mint proof silver and several from the 80's???

Sorry Gt....Foot in mouth. The ones I have are from the 60's or 90's up.... But I am correct on the bicentennial. Again I appologize for my ignorance.

-golden silver
 
What is the percentage of silver on these 1990's proofs?
 
GS,

No need to apologize.

Snakeman Bill

The silver proofs from the 92-now are 90% silver. The silver proofs from 1968-1970 are 40%.

HH
65GT350
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom