Are these mint errors?

Ben-Ro

May 18, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
While hunting tonight I found a couple halves that I think may be errors, but, being a newb, I'm not sure.

#1 - The first coin I found had a bump on the side of the coin, along the reeded edge. It looks like one of the grooves was missed or that two of the 'teeth' in the reeding are fused together. There is no other detectable damage around that area of the coin. What do you think? Here are some pics:

IMAG0105.jpg
IMAG0106.jpg

#2 - Wasn't sure if this constituted an off center strike or not. The top of the coin is wider than the bottom around the edge. You can see at the top of the coin that there are two edges and only one at the bottom. The reverse (no pic) is normal...equal width of border around the entire reverse.

IMAG0108.jpg
IMAG0112.jpg

Thanks for your help guys!:icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The half has gone through several iterations since 64, including a wider rim. Red up in the redbook. The earlier coin do not look the same as new halfs.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i check all "off center/double rim looking coins" for the machine doubling or double die errors, they usually contain something minor, in one case for me, something quite major.
HH
Buff

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first is post mint damage. The secone is a misaligned die, extremely common, no extra value.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i check all "off center/double rim looking coins" for the machine doubling or double die errors, they usually contain something minor, in one case for me, something quite major.
HH
Buff

Why would you save coins with machine doubling? They have no added value. Also, the term is "doubled die" not double. Just asking.
HH
enamel7

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread