Are these quartz pieces hand worked?

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009
Found in a nice size North Georgia creek. It's just so hard to tell with quartz.

WEg0zpd.jpg

Thanks for any help

Upvote 0

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
quartz is funny stuff

Found in a nice size North Georgia creek. It's just so hard to tell with quartz.

View attachment 1607636

Thanks for any help

I'm not an official archaeologist, but have worked as one for the USFS and three private firms, as one, for a total of 30+ yrs.

Quartz is funny stuff.
It can and does sometimes contain gold,
and in finer qualities of this material, you might find hand-formed
Projectile Points, made of the stuff. Beautiful to behold, and very likely,
highly prized by the guy who made it, like the one on the right.
See the parallel flakes, from the dorsal side of the point, down to the edge?
Man-made.
The other objects, I can't say sorry,..!
I am only going by what picture you supplied.

OP
OP
CheathamHill

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009
Thanks for the reply. I’m a novice so I’m not sure where to see the parallel flakes you speak of. I will post other angles of them soon so maybe someone can identify if they’ve been worked. Thanks again

olroy70

Feb 3, 2011
gainesville, tx
Detector(s) used
Garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply. I’m a novice so I’m not sure where to see the parallel flakes you speak of. I will post other angles of them soon so maybe someone can identify if they’ve been worked. Thanks again
I have found quart point in GA. that stuff must be gruesome to work. I have never seen flakes on my points.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, those are natural.:skullflag:

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
The profile or thickness is usually the best way to identify points made of that material.

Do they have a lenticular cross section? Do the sides meet to produce a more or less strait edge?

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just to dispell a common opinion, and not to judge the pieces I see here. Quartz is the most common lithic in my area. It is not at all difficult to see flaking on quartz. In the case of a quartz projectile, you just have to angle it in the light correctly, usually at a very oblique angle, to see the flaking. This makes it diificult to photograph the flaking, but it is not difficult to see the flaking if one simply angles the point in the light in order to see it. I just mention this because folks are always saying it's hard to see flaking on quartz artifacts, when in fact it's hard to photograph that flaking.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to dispell a common opinion, and not to judge the pieces I see here. Quartz is the most common lithic in my area. It is not at all difficult to see flaking on quartz. In the case of a quartz projectile, you just have to angle it in the light correctly, usually at a very oblique angle, to see the flaking. This makes it diificult to photograph the flaking, but it is not difficult to see the flaking if one simply angles the point in the light in order to see it. I just mention this because folks are always saying it's hard to see flaking on quartz artifacts, when in fact it's hard to photograph that flaking.

Couldn’t agree more , about 75% of my finds are made from quartz and like you said when held correctly in the light you can see the flaking quite well especially crystal quartz.

OP
OP
CheathamHill

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009
I think I probably still have trouble identifying flaking altogether.
Thanks for the responses.
So is that a 'no' for all of these?

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Interesting finds.Congrats

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couldn’t agree more , about 75% of my finds are made from quartz and like you said when held correctly in the light you can see the flaking quite well especially crystal quartz.
I use natural light most of the time up against a window works great .

Attachments

• P8041078.JPG
    P8041078.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 51
  • P6160878.JPG
    P6160878.JPG
    236.7 KB · Views: 79
  • P6160876.JPG
    P6160876.JPG
    266.6 KB · Views: 69
  • P7232251.JPG
    P7232251.JPG
    658.3 KB · Views: 52

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks seems it was used all over the country one of my favorite materials .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread