Are these rocks promising in the search for gold?

michaelhowie

Tenderfoot
Aug 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys,

I am a complete noob at the moment :-).

I have been searching in a wooded area in Wales, UK and have come across quite a bit of jagged quartz near the river and today I think hematite - the ground is mostly clay.

What kind of conditions would encourage you to keep searching in an area for gold?

Whilst not on the "Gold Belt" of Dolgellau in Wales, I am not far from it.

Thanks

Here is the rock I found - it isnt magnetic ( at least it doesnt stick to a magnet out of a stereo). What could it be?

I should add, the quartz that I have found have all been on the surface or in the river bed, I havent unearthed anything or started digging.

WP_20130830_004[1].jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Try the hard rock forum under Dustedyou's rock id string

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum! - to answer one question, look for black sand, its not a sure bet, but its a good indicator of possible placer gold. HH

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fullpan, do you mean look for black sand especially in your gold pan and then check it with a magnet or just in the dirt in or along the river. Also one can take a magnet with you, have it in a plastic bag, and just test the ground and the gravel in the river around the rocks. If there is magnetic black sand it will cling to the magnet but can not get through the plastic bag, this keeps the magnet clean. The black sand is a general indicator of the right type of area that could have gold in it. You are searching for gold and normally it does not just jump right out and wave a flag to let a person know its there. It sounds like you are in a possible area with Quartz being in the ground & the river as gold and Quartz are like good friends and are usually found together.

A magnet, a small digging tool, a gold pan and your time in the general area of a known mining area along with a good lunch, something good to drink and you are all set for an adventure. Also, as has been given to you earlier, Welcome to Tnet. Lots of good info on the web and you tube on how to read a river and therefore how to find gold as well as how to use a gold pan...................63bkpkr

182_8222.JPG Here in California U.S.A. this is what one can expect to find. US Dime for size comparison: to left of dime black rocks not quite yet sand size but they are magnetic, left again two grey chunks of lead bullets, above the dime another magnetic rock and the trifling bits of yellow stuff is what the fuss is all about. Do enjoy being "out there" and the best of success in your quest. Stick with the simple equipment outlined above till you are finding the yellow bits and IF it seems worth it then expand a little but only a little with the equipment.

OP
OP
M

michaelhowie

Tenderfoot
Aug 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fullpan, do you mean look for black sand especially in your gold pan and then check it with a magnet or just in the dirt in or along the river. Also one can take a magnet with you, have it in a plastic bag, and just test the ground and the gravel in the river around the rocks. If there is magnetic black sand it will cling to the magnet but can not get through the plastic bag, this keeps the magnet clean. The black sand is a general indicator of the right type of area that could have gold in it. You are searching for gold and normally it does not just jump right out and wave a flag to let a person know its there. It sounds like you are in a possible area with Quartz being in the ground & the river as gold and Quartz are like good friends and are usually found together.

A magnet, a small digging tool, a gold pan and your time in the general area of a known mining area along with a good lunch, something good to drink and you are all set for an adventure. Also, as has been given to you earlier, Welcome to Tnet. Lots of good info on the web and you tube on how to read a river and therefore how to find gold as well as how to use a gold pan...................63bkpkr

View attachment 855285 Here in California U.S.A. this is what one can expect to find. US Dime for size comparison: to left of dime black rocks not quite yet sand size but they are magnetic, left again two grey chunks of lead bullets, above the dime another magnetic rock and the trifling bits of yellow stuff is what the fuss is all about. Do enjoy being "out there" and the best of success in your quest. Stick with the simple equipment outlined above till you are finding the yellow bits and IF it seems worth it then expand a little but only a little with the equipment.

Thanks for your in-depth reply!

Getting quite excited now, just crushed some of the quartz I collected from there the other day and there is, what I believe to be, pyrite? So I am definitely in a "mineral rich" environment I think. Can you guys confirm this from this picture? There also appears to be a bit of red in there, not sure what that might be though. DSCF5784.JPG DSCF5792.JPG

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Looks like arseno pyrites,a good sign for gold in some areas.If you read the geological/mining reports from that area it will clue you in on the associations of minerals and gold.The reds are likely oxidized irons.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread