Are these Thumb Scrapers?

TXCreekWalker

Apr 6, 2023
Artifacts or not, I like the shape of these three, and the material. One has been identified as a thumb scraper by some other people that have looked at it (the small grey one, I indicate this above the picture of it below), but second opinions are greatly appreciated. I am working on accuracy and building my identification skills. As of now, I suspect all three are thumb scrapers, but I am open for correction.

20230410_235652.jpg
20230411_222243.jpg
20230410_234418.jpg

The smaller one to the right has been previously identified as a thumb scraper. The left one shares some characteristics with it that led me to suspect it is also a scraper. Both were found in the same area, are of the same material, and both have that pointed left corner.
20230411_223006.jpg

Bottom of left piece. I think I can see Hatcher lines, and I can feel the remains of a bulb of percussion that has been flaked off the bottom to smooth it out some.
20230411_223027.jpg

20230411_223036.jpg
20230305_005041.jpg

The smaller (previously identified) one. This one has a prominent bulb of percussion at the rounded end.
20230411_223135.jpg
20230411_223153.jpg

20230410_234459.jpg

So this in what I think, but at the same time, I am certainly open to correction. I would prefer to have solid authentic pieces rather than ones I fool myself into believing are artifacts.

Thank you all!

Upvote 6

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Artifacts or not, I like the shape of these three, and the material. One has been identified as a thumb scraper by some other people that have looked at it (the small grey one, I indicate this above the picture of it below), but second opinions are greatly appreciated. I am working on accuracy and building my identification skills. As of now, I suspect all three are thumb scrapers, but I am open for correction.

View attachment 2078607 View attachment 2078608 View attachment 2078610

The smaller one to the right has been previously identified as a thumb scraper. The left one shares some characteristics with it that led me to suspect it is also a scraper. Both were found in the same area, are of the same material, and both have that pointed left corner.
View attachment 2078614

Bottom of left piece. I think I can see Hatcher lines, and I can feel the remains of a bulb of percussion that has been flaked off the bottom to smooth it out some.
View attachment 2078616
View attachment 2078617 View attachment 2078618

The smaller (previously identified) one. This one has a prominent bulb of percussion at the rounded end.
View attachment 2078620 View attachment 2078621
View attachment 2078615

So this in what I think, but at the same time, I am certainly open to correction. I would prefer to have solid authentic pieces rather than ones I fool myself into believing are artifacts.

Thank you all!
I’ve seen a lot of TX artifacts on YouTube and the like. Many are very well made. I’ve not seen many TX scrapers though.

Here in my neck of the woods, I always appreciate local opinions on my finds for obvious reasons.

Scrapers served many purposes and can range in material and workmanship from rough and crude to high quality.

Generally speaking, they have a somewhat rounded bit end that is steeply worked on only one side. Many are unifaced.

Some of the features on these three finds would drop them in the scraper bucket (or category).

The ‘tool’ bucket is vastly populated with a myriad of interesting clearly worked items which can not be directly connected to a specific purpose.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if the far right wasn’t a blade core, a bit small, but those long removals look right… maybe they got all they wanted out of it then converted it to a different tool.

OP
OP
T

TXCreekWalker

Apr 6, 2023
I wonder if the far right wasn’t a blade core, a bit small, but those long removals look right… maybe they got all they wanted out of it then converted it to a different tool.
That is a possibility. I also think that it looks like a small turtle back. Some of those were once other types of tools as well before being converted. Whatever it is, and once was, It is one of my favorites that i have found because of the color and shape. The color in the pictures is off. It is actually a more bluish grey.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread