✅ SOLVED are these what I think they are?

Acaldwell32

May 26, 2012
virginia/north carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....sorry I have no clue, was just trying to get yalls attention. What do you think they might be. Found at a house built before 1763.

20140131_011654.jpg
20140131_011725.jpg
This is one piece front and back

20140131_011606.jpg
20140131_011506.jpg

aka da Prof

Jan 18, 2009
Finger Lakes, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom One / Fisher 1280X / Beach Bully sand scoop/ Garret ProPin Pointer/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
--we gotta know-- what are they made of- what's the metal???

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Acaldwell32

May 26, 2012
virginia/north carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not sure on the metal, maybe silver. Seemes kind of light though. What other metals give off that silvery shine? Pewter? Don't think it would be steel

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First thing I thought when I saw them is Aluminium, reminds me of all the WWII aircraft bits I find.

Upvote 0

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are finding it in the same place as an old broken 9 iron and hozzle for the club, I would assume it maybe golf related. Could be a metal eyelet that are in towels and such so they hang on your bag without tearing bigger holes, or one of the rings off a golf bag itself that came loose.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Acaldwell32

May 26, 2012
virginia/north carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No the eyelet was found on the opposite side of the the property near where I dug an o ring and mini ball......I take it nobodys seen the phantom date carved in it yet? ? Maybe my imaginition. But it sure looks like 1864-60

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very often, though not always, a corroded metal can be identified by the characteristics of the corrosion/patina. Regarding Acaldwell32's finds, I know of two metals which show the characteristic I call "snowflake" corrosion, meaning, blotchy white spots (kinda like snowflakes) on the grey metal. The two metals are zinc and aluminum. The way to tell those two metals apart is by their comparative weight. Zinc weighs almost exactly the same as cast-iron (whose "Specific Gravity" rating is 7.1), and aluminum weighs only 40% ("Specific Gravity" rating is 2.7) as much as zinc and cast-iron do.

In other words... if Acaldwell32's find weighs the same as a cast-iron object of the same size weighs, it is made of zinc. If his find is a lot lighter, it is made of aluminum.

Upvote 0

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks to me like the top two pictures are a left-handed club and the bottom two pictures are a right-handed club .....................not that it matters all that much ...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Acaldwell32

May 26, 2012
virginia/north carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The object in the top two pictures was found at the top of the yard. And it is heavier than aluminum, but just not as heavy as other metals. So it is prob zinc. The other piece was found about an acre away next to a huge oak stump, though on the same property. They both seem to be of the same material. So prob are the same item club or whatever it is. Was golf popular during the colonial days?:laughing7:

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Golf club and tarp grommet.

Upvote 0

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have left lots of "pieces of clubs" scattered around trees ............................. but not in Colonial times

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Acaldwell32

May 26, 2012
virginia/north carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well its not colonial but definitely its from a vintage club maybe 20's or 30's. Just looked it up. Damn, you guys are good!. Thanks. I'm not much of a golfer, if you can tell

Upvote 0

ResurrectedVirginia

Jan 8, 2014
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How thick is the object in the second picture and did it come off of the objects in the other pictures or is it a separate piece?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread