Are You A Pirate Or A Foolish Nice Guy ? Informal Poll

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pirate. If someone wants a ring back from me they better me a double amputee burn victim with aids. After driving for 8-9 hours to a northern lake and back, spending a couple of days in cool chest deep water, and taking the time to slide the sand back into the under water holes best I can with aching legs. I feel that I've earned anything that I find. If my ascent up the Karmic ladder means that I come back as a turd eating fly, so be it.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being primarily a Buddhist, I always roll my eyes when the term "karma" is thrown around to support one's point of view.
Especially when the term is used in a wishy-washy way without really understanding the whole karmic cycle and how Universal laws come into effect.
Let's make up scenario......
There's a couple at the beach who have their story like everyone else who's there.
This story is not a pleasant one as the big, fat greedy husband is abusive and his wife is too afraid to leave him.
He starts in on her, putting her down, yelling his usual nastiness, flailing his arms in her face when his big gold signet ring flies off and lands where he can't find it.
Immediately, he blames his wife for this loss and belittles her even more but this time it bounces off because she's happy the miserable prick lost his precious ring, especially when he bought that ring just to spite her.
She thinks that there's actually a God up there punishing her husband for his evil ways.
They go home and he beats her but that won't shake her satisfaction of his misfortune.
Fast forward a few days later and enter a guy with a detector. This guy lives a different kind of lifestyle than the norm.
He basically lives at the poverty line just so he can have the freedom to go out detecting whenever he wants.
He puts his trust in the Universe that everything will work out as he does not have a regular paycheck. He's a few hundred short of his rent and with only a few days left, starts to feel fears and doubts kick in.
Ignoring this predictable cycle he chooses to have faith and heads out to find his rent money.
You see, he has spent weeks cleaning and cataloging artifacts for the historical record out of love as he doesn't sell these important finds.
He decides to head to the beach to find something modern that he can sell to make ends meet.
When he arrives at the beach, there's holes everywhere indicating the place is hammered but after the "no one gets it all" affirmation, he swings like mad all day but unfortunately after 8 hours, he only has a few bucks and a tiny silver earing to show for his efforts.
He feels disappointment sinking in but is already hardwired to deal with such emotions and tells himself that it was truly a pleasure to be out in the fresh air doing what he loves and all the exercise is an added bonus........
When all of a sudden BANG! A blast of a signal rings out and sitting in the scoop is the gold puppy that the fat bastage lost.
He looks up at the sky and thanks the Universe for taking care of him once again.
He gets home and wants to hold the ring and stare at it (and decide maybe to keep it?) but there's a bad energy around the ring which makes him easily decide to scrap it and move on with life.
This feeling of "bad energy" was familiar when he found that huge gold biker ring (designed as a punching ring) that had nasty symbols all over it and was probably made from melting a bunch of stolen rings together or it was paid by drug money....
Did he make any effort to return that biker ring? HELL NO!!!! SCRAP!
What if some other detectorist found the signet ring and tracked down the fat, greedy wife-beater and he snatched it out of your hand and walked off without a thank you?
Do you think that it was HIS karma to loose that ring as the Universe was trying to teach him a lesson?
If you returned the ring and he goes on his merry way thinking there's no repercussions for his actions?
To those who throw around the karma term.....do you ever think it was someone's BAD karma that caused them to loose something?
Am I a pirate? No, I fall into my own special, unique category!:laughing7:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being primarily a Buddhist, I always roll my eyes when the term "karma" is thrown around to support one's point of view.
Especially when the term is used in a wishy-washy way without really understanding the whole karmic cycle and how Universal laws come into effect.
Let's make up scenario......
There's a couple at the beach who have their story like everyone else who's there.
This story is not a pleasant one as the big, fat greedy husband is abusive and his wife is too afraid to leave him.
He starts in on her, putting her down, yelling his usual nastiness, flailing his arms in her face when his big gold signet ring flies off and lands where he can't find it.
Immediately, he blames his wife for this loss and belittles her even more but this time it bounces off because she's happy the miserable prick lost his precious ring, especially when he bought that ring just to spite her.
She thinks that there's actually a God up there punishing her husband for his evil ways.
They go home and he beats her but that won't shake her satisfaction of his misfortune.
Fast forward a few days later and enter a guy with a detector. This guy lives a different kind of lifestyle than the norm.
He basically lives at the poverty line just so he can have the freedom to go out detecting whenever he wants.
He puts his trust in the Universe that everything will work out as he does not have a regular paycheck. He's a few hundred short of his rent and with only a few days left, starts to feel fears and doubts kick in.
Ignoring this predictable cycle he chooses to have faith and heads out to find his rent money.
You see, he has spent weeks cleaning and cataloging artifacts for the historical record out of love as he doesn't sell these important finds.
He decides to head to the beach to find something modern that he can sell to make ends meet.
When he arrives at the beach, there's holes everywhere indicating the place is hammered but after the "no one gets it all" affirmation, he swings like mad all day but unfortunately after 8 hours, he only has a few bucks and a tiny silver earing to show for his efforts.
He feels disappointment sinking in but is already hardwired to deal with such emotions and tells himself that it was truly a pleasure to be out in the fresh air doing what he loves and all the exercise is an added bonus........
When all of a sudden BANG! A blast of a signal rings out and sitting in the scoop is the gold puppy that the fat bastage lost.
He looks up at the sky and thanks the Universe for taking care of him once again.
He gets home and wants to hold the ring and stare at it (and decide maybe to keep it?) but there's a bad energy around the ring which makes him easily decide to scrap it and move on with life.
This feeling of "bad energy" was familiar when he found that huge gold biker ring (designed as a punching ring) that had nasty symbols all over it and was probably made from melting a bunch of stolen rings together or it was paid by drug money....
Did he make any effort to return that biker ring? HELL NO!!!! SCRAP!
What if some other detectorist found the signet ring and tracked down the fat, greedy wife-beater and he snatched it out of your hand and walked off without a thank you?
Do you think that it was HIS karma to loose that ring as the Universe was trying to teach him a lesson?
If you returned the ring and he goes on his merry way thinking there's no repercussions for his actions?
To those who throw around the karma term.....do you ever think it was someone's BAD karma that caused them to loose something?
Am I a pirate? No, I fall into my own special, unique category!:laughing7:
She should leave fat *******, and Beach bum needs to get a job.

HH RN

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I admit (a mechanic friend if mine called me --the gal not having cash called him to see if he could help her --he called me) -- I did help a poor young gal --single mom type --find her car keys that her little 3 year old girl had ran out of the front door of their house with tripped and fell and lost as they flew out her hand when she tripped ...the frantic mom looked every where but could not find them ... she did not have the cash to pay a lock smith to rekey the car --and had to have the keys to go to work to pay her bills the next day (3 days before christmas too boot) ...turns out when the little gal fell she flung the keys "under" the car iself -- it was a tricky find but I did it --no I did not get paid --but the little gal was out of the "dog house" and the mommy was thankful

rings without any form of Id on it are mine all mine (unless the person / couple that just lost it are right there looking for it -- because by law if you know who's it is your to return it )...the issue I got with marked rings is that of being accused of theft --many folks that "lose" rings report them as "stolen" to get paid to get a new one from insurance --so later on when you show up and sell said ring at ye olde pawn shop -- guess what you now tagged as a "crook"...since its got their name on it and you got it...,its so fun explaining that your not a thief ...to cops and also why you did not turn in it as "lost property" as required by law ...which is why unmarked rings are great ...marked with a name not so much

Last edited:

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I began in this hobby because I had lost my wedding ring and there was a man in the school yard next to my house, detecting for rings. Asked him to find my ring and 15 minutes later, my ring was back on my finger. So if I ever find a gold class ring I can return, I will for sure. Any other type of ring I can't return will end in my display. Dont know what i'll do if I'd find a Cartier ring with a few carats on it. Name or no name on it, I would sell it ;) So, guess I'm a "not so bad" pirate.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muddyhandz, All I can say to your post is "WOW", you crazy Canadian, we might be related.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes it pays to be a so called "Foolish Nice Guy" :headbang: I did get in contact with the guy who lost his class ring (the one I dug on 12/24/2016) . Long story short he told me to keep it. :occasion14: I was prepared to send it to him in TN where he currently resides or to another relative in case he thought I was a paper server).

There goes my "Honorable Mention" Oh well I tried. :dontknow:

20161224_153403.jpg

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Too nice at times. I still try to do the right thing so I can feel good about myself. I have given many finds away to land owners relatives or newbies to get them interested. Never sold anything.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beach bum needs to get a job.

HH RN

That's exactly what my dad yelled at me after I got out of high school and all I wanted to do was metal detect all day. Good thing I didn't listen!
He never called me that again after they drove 4,000 miles to come visit me and my hot blonde hippy chick living in a driftwood hut along the Pacific West coast.
Yep, I cooked them up a big pot of mussels, went out into the row boat and 5 minutes later, brought back a couple of fresh cod that I cooked over my wood stove in butter, garlic, and onions.
Grabbed some more fire wood and a bucket of pure mountain water from the massive waterfall that was in our back yard.
Completed the meal with the supplies I bought from all the change I found detecting the local beaches......
20 years later and I could write a book about all the adventures I had from being a "beach bum."
All my buddies who have full time jobs and can never find the time go out hunting all tell me that they envy my lifestyle. Follow your dreams people!

As for the "Crazy Canadian" comment......I take that as a nice compliment. Thank you! :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Dave.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright I posted how I was a pirate and I like to keep my finds, but I just spent 2 hours searching for a lost engagement ring here on harbor island bahamas. Someone came up to the boat and knocked and asked for our help finding a lost ring. They had seen me on the beach doing my thing and asked if we could take a look for them. So my friend and I just spent a good amount of time giving it the good honest try. We will try again as soon as we get back from spanish wells. He was very sincere and offered to pay for our services. He will call tomorrow with a better more precise location for us to search. I hope to find it and collect some cash for our efforts. So what im saying is every circumstance is different and it is a decision to be made when the time comes. Even pirates signed articles and had a certain set of codes they obeyed. Today I chose to be an honorable pirate and do the right thing. Plus I had my daily ration of grog while I searched, a tall rum and coke !!! Rum makes pirates agreeable !!!

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7:[/QUOTE

Well buddy it has been a long time since I took that class "History of the worlds major religions" And I gave the text to a girl that I met in an addictions counseling class. So yes indeed, my memory may well be addled with my coffee desiccated brain...........and age.:laughing7: Want a good read.....check out...."The Spirituality of Imperfection".

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muddyhandz, It was meant to be. By the way, my name is Dave also, go figure.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always knew you were a nice pirate Black bart ;) I wish you a real pirate related find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread