Arizona dredging, any new regs?

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found some unclaimed areas here in Yavapai county that I want to dredge. I've read the pamphlet that states it can't be done but then I've read where it can also. I've also seen where it says motors under 10hp are considered casual use. Can I do this without filing anything here? Or do I need to file a claim and an noi? I'd like to run my 6" dredge with 13hp full out, but I'm not here to break any laws. A friend with a claim is in the process of filing an noi but neither of us are up on any dredging regs in existance here. So I told him that I would do my best :)
Reed

Last edited:

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Reed BLM says NOI and bond but it is not in the National Register. I have had them come down and talk to me but never asked me for a NOI. I run a 4” Proline in Yavapai county. Last 2 trips they just drove by and waved. Clay will probably give you the latest updates.

OP
OP
Reed Lukens

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reed BLM says NOI and bond but it is not in the National Register. I have had them come down and talk to me but never asked me for a NOI. I run a 4” Proline in Yavapai county. Last 2 trips they just drove by and waved. Clay will probably give you the latest updates.

Thanks Jeff :) Let me know when you guys are here and I'll buy lunch.

rockbar

Oct 19, 2015
AZ
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I haven’t tried to keep up with any new regulations on dredging in Az… that would be because I have freely dredged several locations in Yavapai county the past 20 years - from 3” to 5” with never an enforcement issue. This would be on club claims, open ground, as well as my claims. Isn’t freedom and personal responsibility wonderful? Try some before it’s all regulated away.
The restrictions that I am aware of are the unpredictable availability of water (dams are your friend) and the all-encompassing “undue or unnecessary degradation” clause. It’s my understanding that if a miner uses best methods and practices and takes care not to degrade surface resources (no new road building, no fuel spills, proper waste management, etc..), then he should be ok.
There is always some risk of over-zealous, misguided enforcement when we’re out there on the public lands, so that’s what we have to keep in mind.
I don't know what pamphlet you refer to, but I have always worked with the understanding that in Arizona, suction dredging is casual use. No NOI required unless your small-scale mining goes into some larger level of commercial mining with an impact to surface resources or if you are working under the NOI that a club such as the Roadrunners has put in place to cover their butts.

OP
OP
Reed Lukens

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven’t tried to keep up with any new regulations on dredging in Az… that would be because I have freely dredged several locations in Yavapai county the past 20 years - from 3” to 5” with never an enforcement issue. This would be on club claims, open ground, as well as my claims. Isn’t freedom and personal responsibility wonderful? Try some before it’s all regulated away.
The restrictions that I am aware of are the unpredictable availability of water (dams are your friend) and the all-encompassing “undue or unnecessary degradation” clause. It’s my understanding that if a miner uses best methods and practices and takes care not to degrade surface resources (no new road building, no fuel spills, proper waste management, etc..), then he should be ok...

Thanks Rockbar :) I used to belong to the Roadrunners but there's plenty of open ground and friends claims here that I'm exploring this year, so I haven't reopened my membership. I've been approached by some of the local miners and have been shown so much here in the Wickenburg area, that I'm planning on staying right here all winter at Stanton. We've already made our reservations here for next year and this is going to be our winter home from now on. My wife realised soon after we got here why I didn't want to leave a couple years back. No more arthritis pain for me and most of her allergies and pains dissapeared in just a few days after we arrived :) I can't wait to get my dredge in the water. Thanks again everyone :)
I'm back to gold mining again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread