Arizona Relics - Some more

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of today's find. Need some help with some of it. Can anyone put a date on that Hyvis Oil token? And what about this shotgun? It says "Daisy" so Im pretty sure its just a BB gun. The stuff on the left is an old horseshoe, possibly US Cavalry from the 1910s, but Im not sure. Does anyone know if it looks like it could be a horseshoe the US Cavalry used back then? I understand they can be difficult if not impossible to "date", and that they are usually "dated" based on what else was found around it. This place was a town along the border, back in the 1910s and probably into the 1920s or so, and back in the Mexican Revolution/World War I era, US Cavalry troops were stationed here to protect the town. I also found a .30.06 casing from the Frankford Arsenal dating to November 1912, a small "US ARMY" button, and a tent grommet (I think) right nearby. Some date nails at the end, including a half descent 1906, a very rough but intact 1931, and a 1927 that I pulled from a derelict RR tie. Also a couple of marbles, which I always like to find. The oil token and wheat penny were found at an entirely different place, about 10 miles or so to the north, just so you all know. Everything else came from this old border town. I also found a couple of old bottles, but will post them later after they're cleaned up a little.

DSC03773.jpg DSC03782.jpg DSC03786.jpg DSC03787.jpg DSC03790.jpg DSC03794.jpg DSC03796.jpg DSC03800.jpg DSC03802.jpg DSC03806.jpg DSC03797.jpg DSC03769.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 20
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me know if you need better pics of the shoe.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP...Sorry, cannot help with the i.d.'s on your cool finds, I'm batting .000 tonite lol...but definitely some great saves, also great pics! That always helps when you ask for help identifying relics...Ddf

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP...Sorry, cannot help with the i.d.'s on your cool finds, I'm batting .000 tonite lol...but definitely some great saves, also great pics! That always helps when you ask for help identifying relics...Ddf
I recognize the donkey shoe My ex wife had a closet full, all different colors, I love that old daisy gun stock sweet finds as always my friend!!!!@

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
the button on the upper right is called an "underwear button". And they can span 100 yrs, unfortunately. From the mid 1800s through to WWII, they had very little difference. Sometimes you can perceive the cruder ones. And yours doesn't look to be the cruder style. So I'd say WWI-ish.

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the button on the upper right is called an "underwear button". And they can span 100 yrs, unfortunately. From the mid 1800s through to WWII, they had very little difference. Sometimes you can perceive the cruder ones. And yours doesn't look to be the cruder style. So I'd say WWI-ish.

Thank you for that info. I was wondering about those buttons. It was only a couple months or so ago when I first learned they made "US ARMY" buttons like that, so its pretty cool to find one myself.

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSC03809.jpg DSC03810.jpg DSC03814.jpg DSC03815.jpg DSC03816.jpg

Heres the bottles. The one is a cork top, it looks like, with some bubbles. It was buried and only partially uncovered by recent rain, but Im sure it will turn purple after I leave it the sunshine for a while. The other one is a battery oil bottle, which is a little newer than the other one, I think.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The shoe is pretty thick, about 1/2 inch at the ends and thinner as it goes down toward the middle. Its also large. Im not sure of its age. I find a lot of horseshoes out here, and the modern ones are easy to tell by writing they have on them and even their shape, size and weight. Old horseshoes, or at least horseshoes that I know are older than the modern ones I see all the time, are bigger and heavier. I have another US Cavalry horseshoe, its big and heavy like this but a little different in shape. And even if it this one is not a Cavalry horseshoe, does it look like an old one to anyone else. And by old I mean early 20th century and back. I just want to know if this is a keeper or not?

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im sure there is more to be found there, as I had to stop early and leave. I was only here on the ground less than an hour and my partner and I found all of this interesting stuff right in the last few minutes. The debris field this stuff was found in kept going, so I know there is more. I also found several more old date nails, but they were all rusted and too far gone. I only take ones worth saving, otherwise they will just rust away as well. The oil token was a cool find. Some miles to the north, this old frame farmhouse just recently caved in on itself, exposing the bottom most beam of the frame wall, running across the end of the wooden floor. This was sitting on top of the beam, and judging by the amount of filth I scraped off the obverse with a toothpick and the nice looking reverse, was sitting there a very long time before the house caved in. I was upset too, because I had really wanted to get a picture of the old place before it fell in, but was just a little too late. The recent storms is what did it in. I got lucky though and spotted it while looking through what was left of a window from the outside. It was impossible to enter the place. I also scored the little wheat penny, sitting just outside.

Last edited:

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember using those little clips when I was in the Army. They were used as a quick way to connect wire up for communication. Field phones.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your one bottle is a pepper sauce , your F A cartridge should have 2 numbers on it ,that will be the year it was made.love the token and the date nails. Congrats !!

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Southern California, outside of San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1475928 View attachment 1475929 View attachment 1475930 View attachment 1475931 View attachment 1475932

Heres the bottles. The one is a cork top, it looks like, with some bubbles. It was buried and only partially uncovered by recent rain, but Im sure it will turn purple after I leave it the sunshine for a while. The other one is a battery oil bottle, which is a little newer than the other one, I think.

For the folks unfamiliar with Battery Oil ..... The oil was used to float on top of the acid/water solution to limit evaporation in rural electric accumulator (battery) systems as these batteries had no top . The cells were often housed in a see through glass container.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you found a spot with lots of potential. I hope you can "chisel" some goodies from there.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently that shotgun is a Daisy cap gun, patented in 1931. I didnt think it was that old.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread