tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got home from a trip in Montana. I took no pictures of the Treasure State as it was dark overcast and drizzly the whole time I was up there. I made a trip over to Guernsey Wyoming to a quarry that provides RR ballast rock to the main line that runs across the area. It's odd, but every time I go to this area of Guernsey & Ft. Laramie, Wyo. the weather is sunny and much warmer then over on I25. Even in December the weather hear and be warm and sunny on some days. I took some time to enjoy the history of the area. The places to visit, are the wagon ruts in the fine grain soft stone that was cut out by the steel rim wagon wheels and the pounding of the oxen hooves of all the overland pioneers who passed this way more then a 160 years ago. I took a drive by Fort Laramie which in the years long ago would be the last taste of any decent of civilizations for the long month ahead for the overlander's. The iron bridge was erected the year before the Battle of the Little Bighorn. I would have stopped at Ft Laramie, but I wanted to beat the I25 rush that jams up from Cheyenne to Denver at 4:PM everyday. If you ever get a chance to visit this area, It's pretty nice if you like American history. In the last photo I'm thinking that be anEl Nino coming in from the west as I took the back roads to Wheatland from Ft Laramie. In a way this is a place that time forgot after the overland route came to an end in just a few years after the transcontinental railroad was completed further to the south and all the renegades were finally all rounded up by the U.S. Government.

Attachments

• gurnsey 1.jpg
    gurnsey 1.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 88
  • gurnsey 2.jpg
    gurnsey 2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 83
  • gurnsey 3.jpg
    gurnsey 3.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 70
  • gurnsey 4.jpg
    gurnsey 4.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 74
  • gurnsey 5.jpg
    gurnsey 5.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 68
  • gurnsey 6.jpg
    gurnsey 6.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 76

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup: Nice! Looks like a cool place to detect.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped to visit couple years ago. The Fort area was looked over and metal detected pretty well the park ranger told me. He also said some kind of California Territorial gold piece was found at the site and they have it in a vault. Did it quit raining up your way? I went to Roundup and it was really drizzly rain over that way.

Last edited:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I never made it to Fort Laramie, so it's still on my bucket list, but at this late date in my life I doubt it will ever happen.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is still in the mid 40s with cloud cover, but not much rain here. Looked like the clouds might try to clear up, but they say we may have more moisture by the weekend. No snow yet, only higher up.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully you'll have that chance BosnMate. This old white building is the bachelor officers quarters constructed 1848. It almost didn't make it in the first part of the 20th century. This is a photo of what it looked like in 1907. Today it's been saved. I think it's best to travel across Wyoming in September and November when the cotton woods have the yellow leaves imo. It's a shame you don't live in the territory I travel, because I'd come pick ya up and take you along. Not sure how much longer I'll be doing this myself, since mining's been in the tank lately. Everything relies on the market and investors these days and what the enviromaniacs allow you to do. :(

Attachments

• ft laramie bedlam.jpg
    ft laramie bedlam.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are the Guernsey Cows?
I honked the horn of my truck to call em over at the old bridge as they were way out in the pasture on the other side, but they wouldn't come :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions