Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went back to the high school this morning to do some more hunting. I pop a coin out of the grass, put it in my pouch. I stand up and there are 2 police officers standing behind me. They start giving me the third degree. They said someone called and said that I was tearing up the park. I told them I wasn't and they were free to inspect the whole field to find any evidence that I had done anything to the park. They agreed that I had done nothing wrong as they had been watching me the last 5 minutes. I told them if I wasn't being detained I would like to go back to metal detecting. They would not answer me. I asked again. Am I being detained? They still would not answer me. They said they wanted my ID. So I gave them my ID. It so happens last year I was given a citation for fishing in the wrong spot on the lake and I forgot about the fine.:BangHead: So the officers said I was under arrest. So I was taken from the field in handcuffs and booked. I paid my fine and was released. I was so mad as soon as I was released I went back to that field and went back to detecting. I came away with clad and a silver ring, a silver St. Christopher medal, and a silver bead.

WP_20140802_001.jpg WP_20140802_003.jpg

I am going back tomorrow, and the next day, until I have worked that whole High school. I hope I run into that jerk that called the cops.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Its iffy but seeing as how there was no crime committed you shouldnt have given them your ID.On another note by law you have the right to know who accused you of tearing up the park,talk to a lawyer and see if you have grounds to sue the accuser.get them legally.Kicking their ass,the pain goes away after a while,get them legally youre a thorn in their side.On another note you were arrested for an unpaid fine.It didnt have to do with you metal detecting.

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unpaid fines or tickets come back with a bite. If you didn't have any you likely would have walked away and continued your hunt. I'm sorry you went through this. It won't get better on the small stuff like this until you claim alien citizenship...

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sooner or later it would have caught up with you (your unpaid ticket). So now it's all taken care of and all behind you. And more than likely someone will call the police again on you during your detecting years. That's what happens to us. Just keep taking care of your holes nicely and fish on the right side of the lake and life is all good..... for the most part. People whom are nosy and call the police are pathetic. What goes around, comes around. :notworthy: Right :laughing7: Good Luck to you all the more. By the way, nice finds!

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hmm yeah stuff like that happens, I'm usually lucky with cops, one time i was deep in the woods, but at the time they had an escaped convict on the loose, so they had helicopters, and they caught me with there infrared, sent the cops over , said i couldn't do it there, but like mannn.. that was a good spot anyway **** happens right

I did get away with a nice officer spur =)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Well, your title is "arrested metal detecting". However, you were not arrested FOR metal detecting. ok ? And ... ? ... I mean, .... bummer that you got nailed for an unpaid un-related ticket .

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am angry because I made our hobby look bad. I am sure the guy that called thought I was arrested for metal detecting. I had to go back to let them and the world know that what we do is legal, honorable, and that I have as much right to be there as anyone else who uses public land. We are not criminals and probably do more to make parks and public lands a nice place to be.

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yeah the place i was at was public no private property, but i guess they needed me out due to the search. just got away with a warning, Police Chief too. He was nice though

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Well, your title is "arrested metal detecting". However, you were not arrested FOR metal detecting. ok ? And ... ? ... I mean, .... bummer that you got nailed for an unpaid un-related ticket .

He was arrested because of no valid pupose concerning detecting Tom. His basic fault was giving his ID at all, since he was doing nothing illegal. You're a smart guy.

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got to love that people that claim leaving the items in the ground is much better than discovering history. It baffles me. oh and lol^^^

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm mad because this *ish pisses me off.... :dontknow: We are not criminals, law enforcement is going crazy around here..... ??? Arresting people for whatever they can get... :icon_scratch: We do so many good things for the communities and counties we live in. :thumbsup:We clean up trash/pollution, we restore history and return lost money into circulation... We restore history from being destroyed and lost forever :occasion14: We are an asset not F%(#* criminals... :censored: Our leaders need to GIVE us rights, not strip them !! :BangHead:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

wetfly

Aug 8, 2012
Good for you for goin right back to that spot after payin your fine!! I would bet whoever called on you def thought that's why you were arrested and will most surely call on you again. I wouldn't be able to resist going back just outta principle!! Anyway, there's usually at least one ass within 50ft of any great spot lol! Dont let the man keep ya down, especially now that you are back in the black with the law!! Lol. Good luck. Keep swingin!!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Got to love that people that claim leaving the items in the ground is much better than discovering history. It baffles me.

Thats the archs propaganda at work.they want it left there so they can pocket it later.they seem to think that something that was dropped 200 or so years ago is still in the same position as when it was when dropped and it will tell them something.If that isnt the biggest load of B.S. to come down the pike i dont know what is.

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
So, in reality, you were NOT arrested for metal detecting, or any other action associated with it. You were arrested for failing to pay a past fine.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At no time in the title, nor the body of my post did I say I was arrested for metal detecting. I related my experience metal detecting. Take from it what you wish.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
At no time in the title, nor the body of my post did I say I was arrested for metal detecting.....

Yes, we see that. Those of us who read through your post and thought it through. However, it was your title of post that throws people for a loop. As evidence of that, look at the various respondants so far. And you will see some people who go into laments of rules, laws, legalities, etc... As if they thought this (your arrest) somehow had anything to do with metal detecting.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, we see that. Those of us who read through your post and thought it through. However, it was your title of post that throws people for a loop. As evidence of that, look at the various respondants so far. And you will see some people who go into laments of rules, laws, legalities, etc... As if they thought this (your arrest) somehow had anything to do with metal detecting.

I read this post earlier this morning and almost replied with "The title should have been. Arrested while metal detecting because of unpaid fishing fine". But I didn't. I'm responding now because it was a misleading title.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting