Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
... I think it was a knife, I assume you found in Georgia? Ant mike and others will be along and tell us more. I would like to hear the story about how you found it please..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mill-Z

Jul 4, 2021
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, in Georgia. My landlady has a few cotton fields near the Little River. I hunt here daily. And I find at least one piece every time I walk'em. I noticed a few piles of sand out there the other day. Turns out to be some sort of dirtbike track. Upon closer inspection, I noticed flakes everywhere, just like confetti. Most of the pieces I've found have been broken. Then I seen this piece poking out of the ground, and I got excited. I found a few other unbroken pieces as well. None of them are shaped like an arrow, but I can tell they have been shaped to serve a certain purpose. I'm just unsure of what purpose that may be.

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good way to train your eyes to look for the "needles in a haystack". If you want to know more about the artifact you found, consider posting on this sub-forum North American Indian Artifacts. An alternative would be to send the pictures to a natural history museum in Georgia or even a archeologist department at a university. I'd also include some pictures of the flakes.

If you really want to have some fun, make yourself a screen box & sift a few shovel-fulls of dirt through it to see what might be just below the surface.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mill-Z

Jul 4, 2021
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good way to train your eyes to look for the "needles in a haystack". If you want to know more about the artifact you found, consider posting on this sub-forum North American Indian Artifacts. An alternative would be to send the pictures to a natural history museum in Georgia or even a archeologist department at a university. I'd also include some pictures of the flakes.

If you really want to have some fun, make yourself a screen box & sift a few shovel-fulls of dirt through it to see what might be just below the surface.

This may sound strange, considering I'm an "aspiring archeologist" but... I don't really like to dig. It's exhausting. All the pieces that I've found, have come from the surface. I will admit I've considered a screen box a few times when I've run up on a muddy rockbed with a limited amount of time available to search. It'd be nice to scrape up a couple scoops of rocks and be on my way.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice small knife, maybe what we use to call squaw knife.

Upvote 1

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may sound strange, considering I'm an "aspiring archeologist" but... I don't really like to dig. It's exhausting. All the pieces that I've found, have come from the surface. I will admit I've considered a screen box a few times when I've run up on a muddy rockbed with a limited amount of time available to search. It'd be nice to scrape up a couple scoops of rocks and be on my way.

Sounds like a plan (scrape up a couple scoops and be on your way). You can sift through them as time permits.

Upvote 0

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SE Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Literally just saw this, looks like a extremely worn down Pickwick made of heat treated costal plains chert. They got their money's worth out of that one. Nice find; definitely a knife. Would love too see some more of your GA finds :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread